Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recovering Publisher ACT database from hard drive and Syncing to Main Database

Tuned Listener

Recovering Publisher ACT database from hard drive and Syncing to Main Database

Hello everyone,

One of my company's ACT users just suffered the misfortune of having their laptop's hard drive stop working (the computer wouldn't go past the POST and diagnostics revealed numerous bad sectors on the hard drive).  Before reformatting the hard drive, or replacing it, I hooked it up to another computer through an adapter and I can still locate the ACT database files.  Is it possible to retrieve these database files and sync them to the main database?  If so, how do I go about this?  When I try to open the database files (both the PAD and ADF files), I get a "SQL instance is not available" error, yet ACT 2012 is installed on the computer that is accessing the problem hard drive.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Recovering Publisher ACT database from hard drive and Syncing to Main Database

SQL needs to be running on the computer where the hard drive is located and the hard drive needs to be a local drive.

About the best you can do is copy the ADF and the ALF flies onto another computer  and launch the database with the ADF file. You would then be able to import the remote database into the host database to recover the changed/new information. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Recovering Publisher ACT database from hard drive and Syncing to Main Database

Tuned Listener

Thanks for the links.  I was able to recover the database, transfer it to the new computer, then resync.