Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recording History & quick attach to contact

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Recording History & quick attach to contact

Hi- this is the first time I have used the ACT forum, although I have used ACT for the last 8 years! - it looks really useful!Smiley Happy

1. If sending an email via ACT, it calls up Outlook, sends and email, BUT will not record it as a history to the customer.  I have also lost the "quick attach buttons"

2.Recording letters I send to customers- I now suffer the same embarassmentSmiley Wink previously, I was asked- do you want to save the letter or just record the history- now there is nothing & the history is not recorded.

I have checked for latest updates & have them

I have  ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.0) Version 11.0.0.367

I have just updated from XP > windows 7

The email client remains the same (outlook 2007)

I would be really grateful for any help or pointers

Regards

rod

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Recording History & quick attach to contact

[ Edited ]

OK People- all sorted & a very big thank you for keeping me following a logical pattern & retaining my sanity!

I carried out a fresh instal - sometimes things don't go where they should do , things are not fully closed down when you instal etc- Well I took my time & asked someone else to do it for me!Smiley Wink

Heypresto!- Act is once again living- spitting out emails and letters at my customers like a PC possessed!- Lancing the late payers ! ...  recording the history too.

Thanks again everyone- I can now spen time reading the forums here and sharing information rather than panicing!

Message Edited by Rod-act10 on 04-25-2010 11:38 PM

View solution in original post

All Replies
MoZ
Tuned Listener

Often this MS Office integration issue can be solved by removing Outlook as the default email client and reattaching it.

To do this ensure that Outlook is closed down: Within ACT go to Tools - Preferences - Email

Try that and I will be happy to provide further steps if needed.

Moshe

ACT Certified Consultant

Lateral Solutions

http://www.LatSol.co.uk

Copper Contributor

Hi Moshe,

Thanks for your quick response. 

I have carried that out, but without success.  The result is still no history recorded and no quick attach buttons. 

Thanks Moshe-i'm here if you have any other ideas?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Rod,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. The first thing you should know is that ACT! 2009 (11.0) has not been certified as supported on Windows 7. However, we have had very few system issues reported with this type of installation. You will want to update your 2009 version to the latest build, which is 11.1. This may help resolve the issue, even though it is not a patch specifically for Windows 7 compatibility. You can find download and installation instructions in the following Knowledgebase article:

How to Download and Apply the ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.1) Service Pack

Before applying the 11.1 update:

- Remove the ACT! address book from Outlook

- Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows 7 (see KB 25665 for instructions)

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Hi Ghollister- thanks for your reply. I have  read the instructionsand installed the version 11.1  Unfortunately- this has made no diference.  I suspect I am going to have to go back & do a fresh instal.  Im running on 64bit windows 7-i'm not sure that ACT will run on this. here's the link I found

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2298...

Ifanyone can help I would be grateful

Platinum Super Contributor

You mention that the 'Quick Attach' buttons are gone - this is often a sign that the Act! Address Book has been removed from Outlook or that the Act! add-in has been disabled in Outlook.  You mention that the printing of a letter no longer asks you to record a history item, among other things - this can come from either a disabled or missing Act! add-in in MS Word or your Firewall/Anti-virus software is blocking the communication.

Some articles that may help resolve the issue:

Act! icons missing from Outlook -

ACT! Icons Missing From Outlook® Tool Bar

No History prompt from MS Word:

To check Add-ins in Word 2007 - open Word > click on 'Office' button (upper left hand corner) > click on 'Word Options' > click on Add-ins > select Manage - 'Com Addins' - click Go.

Not Receiving Prompt to Record History After Printing a Merged Word Document

Also disable your Anti-virus software and see if the communication is then allowed.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you ever so much with continuing on with my plight gmartinSmiley Happy

I have disabled the antivirus protection etc for 1 hour

I then went into word & found what you suggested and enabled it.

I came out of ACT & then went back in...but the history still does not record.

I read the articles you suggested and followed them with the office > creating a new address book through ACT!.  It can see the address book, but says that "The Address book/Account is not configured, it might not work properly until it is configured"- sure enough, it is true to its word and will not let me continue and does not work at all, let alone properly!

Thank you for this suggestion though- I am extreemly grateful and know that when it works, I will be very happy once again, sure that the ACT Gods are smiling upon me!...  If you or anyone else has any suggestions, I will get right on with them as they come in!

Regards

rod

Message Edited by Rod-act10 on 04-20-2010 08:56 AM
Message Edited by Rod-act10 on 04-20-2010 08:57 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Hey Rod, just for some clarification... 

- Is your database local to your machine, or is it a shared database?

- When you set up the address book in Outlook, did it complete the addition of the Act address book and then fail when reopening Outlook?

- Try using the ActDemo database as the address book in Outlook and see if it can be access (configured).  The username is 'Chris Huffman', no password.  You'll need to open the ActDemo before attempting to add it to Outlook.

- After enabling the Act add-in and testing the History, did you go back into Word and see if the addin was disabled? 

- What is your Anti-virus program?

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Greg,and all!- thanks ever so much for your help. ( Answers to the questions posted by Greg)

• Database is local to the machine
  • No it did not complete the ACT address book.
  • (I have not done that yet & see your logic!- will do it & Report back!)
  • The act add-in is not disabled
  • The anti-virus program is Avast!v5.05.07

I can't help thinking that the issue is 64bit on 32 bit software- ,,but im often wrong and dont expect to change my form quite yet!...Im sure it will just be a minor tweek that once sorted  will have me singing with joy...

I will try the demo & report back,,but any other ideas...please post them here...!

Thanks everyone

Rod

Message Edited by Rod-act10 on 04-20-2010 12:46 PM
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK People- all sorted & a very big thank you for keeping me following a logical pattern & retaining my sanity!

I carried out a fresh instal - sometimes things don't go where they should do , things are not fully closed down when you instal etc- Well I took my time & asked someone else to do it for me!Smiley Wink

Heypresto!- Act is once again living- spitting out emails and letters at my customers like a PC possessed!- Lancing the late payers ! ...  recording the history too.

Thanks again everyone- I can now spen time reading the forums here and sharing information rather than panicing!

Message Edited by Rod-act10 on 04-25-2010 11:38 PM