Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Receiving Error creating new database

Receiving Error creating new database

"object reference not set to an instance of an object".

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Receiving Error creating new database

Hello Fweather,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Here is an article with steps addressing this issue: KB Articel 24350

Greg Martin
Sage

I am having the same issue.  I have now tried to install Act 2012 on three different Server 2008 R2 machines with the same result.  In all cases SQL Express is never installed nor are there any errors indicating that it failed.  I have followed the instructions in the KB articlefor installing it manually and have doen so three times all sucessfully.  However, after installing ACT I can not create a db or restore an existing one. I have tried all the troubleshooting steps I have found and none resolved the issue. 

Aside from the money spent on the 6 licenses all the time I have spent trying to install it on a server that has been in release for some time.  All works great on Server 2003, bit those systems are being retired.  I would really appreciate some substantive support to this problem.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Try right clicking on the ACT! setup.exe and select Run as Administrator.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I tried right clicking on Setup in the topmost folder as well as Setup in the ACTWG folder usign the Run as Administrator option. Same result. 

Platinum Super Contributor

Check to make sure the Service 'SQL Server (ACT7)' is present and started. If not started, attempt to start. Does it stay started, if not what is error?

Is any other version of SQL installed on the server? If yes, is the ACT7 instance within SQL 2008 R2 Express or the other version of SQL?

Can you open the demo database? If not, what is error?
Greg Martin
Sage

No the dmeo database never getsw installed.  I appreciate you're trying to help so I have uninstalled ACT and SQL (Which I had installed manually).  I re-started the system and re-started a fresh install (Right click to run as Admin).   I get the Installation Requirements screen

• Net 3.5SP1 Installed
  • Windows Installer 4.5 Installed)
  • SQL Server 2008 R2 Express 15-20 Minutes
  • Sage ACT! 10-15 Minutes

I click Next and accept all the following defaults.  I get the message about SQL and deploying the demo database, but the SQL install NEVER starts and I never get any message about it.  ACT installs.  Obviously since SQL never installs ACT will run, but I can't create or restore a db.  Since ACT would not install SQL that's when I decided to install SQL manually following the instructions on the SAGE website which runs perfectly.  However, when I then run the ACT install the Demo DB is not installed and I get the "Object...." message.  I have run the same install on a Windows 7 workstations and on Server 2003 and it runs perfectly, but I need it on this new server 2008 R2 so I can setup shared DBs.