Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Shared or Master/Remote or a Mix

Dear All,

We are currently running Sage Act 2012 Pro with a single Master Database located on one laptop and 4 Remote Databases, located on a mixture of workstations and laptops but are considering moving the Master Database to a dedicated server machine and changing to a Shared configuration, rather than a Master/Subscriber configuration, however I would like to check that I understand what ramifications of this might be, namely:

If the database is shared over a VPN does this mean that when a user is not connected to the VPN they are unable to use the database and we therefore loose the flexibility of remote working away from the office?

Can anyone (dependent on Admin rights) make design changes to the database if it is shared rather than only the person who has the Master in the current configuration.

We have recently adopted the Durkin Impact Suite and Report writer but only need two of the users to be able view the additional tables we have created using the Impact Suit  and one user to be able to use the Report Writer hence we only want to purchase this number of licenses and install these on the individual user machines, is this possible using a Shared configuration or would be need to have Impact Suite installed on the “Server” machine as well?

Finally is it possible to have a mixture Shared and Remote Databases i.e Can we have a Server which is shared to those permanently connected in the office and Remote Databases which can be used offline but synchronise with the server when they are online?

Workstations/laptops are  a  mix of windows 7 and 8

Anh help or comments much appreciated

Many Thanks

Jaime

Bronze Super Contributor

If the database is shared over a VPN does this mean that when a user is not connected to the VPN they are unable to use the database and we therefore loose the flexibility of remote working away from the office?

Correct. You can connect to an ACT! database over a VPN, but if no VPN, then no connection. Bear in mind that connecting over a VPN is s.l.o.w. (let me repeat that. SLOW). I don't recommend it.

Can anyone (dependent on Admin rights) make design changes to the database if it is shared rather than only the person who has the Master in the current configuration.

If they have a live connection to the database, and they are an ACT! Admin, then they can make schema (design) changes (i.e. add fields etc).

We have recently adopted the Durkin Impact Suite and Report writer but only need two of the users to be able view the additional tables we have created using the Impact Suit  and one user to be able to use the Report Writer hence we only want to purchase this number of licenses and install these on the individual user machines, is this possible using a Shared configuration or would be need to have Impact Suite installed on the “Server” machine as well?

Whenever I deploy Impact Suite, I prefer to also install on the server machine. It makes administering it MUCH easier.

Finally is it possible to have a mixture Shared and Remote Databases i.e Can we have a Server which is shared to those permanently connected in the office and Remote Databases which can be used offline but synchronise with the server when they are online?

Yes. You can have workstations (or laptops) in the local office, using a live connection to the database, and have remote databases (subscribers) on the laptops that are out of the office, which can sync back to the master database (the Publisher) (via external ip or FQDN and a port foward on the router, or via the internal ip or hostname when in the office).

My recommendation is normally to avoid using a VPN, use live connections within the local office, use remote databases on laptops that sync back to the FQDN, configure the router (a router that supports NAT Loopback Capability) to port forward 65100 to the server hosting the Publisher.

Hope that helps.

Ben.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply, lots for me to consider.

The reason we are thinking of using a vpn is that we do not currently have an internal network so would be using something like Hamachi to create a virtual one, but perhaps we need to consider a dedicated network.

Also I would love to have Durkin on the server but again its keeping costs to a minimum so just giving licenses to the people who ae using it.

Thanks again

Jaime