Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Random Q's: Unicode, deleting databases, backing up files

Random Q's: Unicode, deleting databases, backing up files

1) When I export a contact into a text CSV file and look at it with an editor, it appears to be in Unicode (16-bit) instead of Ascii, how can I get ascii without deleting all the null characters when I look at the file with an editor? I'm using Vista with the region of United States (English), all the defaults. Same thing on XP/SP3.

2) How can I delete all the files of a database - like if I create a 'test' one and then want to delete it. I have no SQL server other than what ACT installed (the Express one). Maybe some files are still open by the SQL server? Should I kill the 2 SQL services and then delete the files - .ADF, .ALF, .PAD and the "xxx-database files" directory? Some of them wouldn't delete when I tried it, I suspect because SQL had them open? Is there a way to gracefully shut down SQL Express? I didn't see any startup control program or anything for SQL.

3) My backup strategy is to copy over all my data files to another system, but if a couple of files are open, this won't work (probably related to Q#2). Suggestions? Shut down SQL then copy? How about the 'synctoy' tool?

Thanks! 

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Random Q's: Unicode, deleting databases, backing up files

1. With XP Pro the ACT! export is in ASCII. It may be an issue with Vista.

2. Tools | Database Maintenance | Delete Database deletes the currently open database.

3. I use a backup program called Genie Backup Manager Pro 8.0 and it will backup open files including ACT! database files that are open on the MSSQL server. Check www.genie-soft.com.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

1. Works the same way with XP. Same Unicode format. Looks ugly with a text editor (emacs) but I can delete the nulls, I shouldn't have to do that.

2. Thanks, didn't know that. I should have RTFM. :-) I was able to delete the files also when I shut down SQL (see 3).

3. I was able to do the copy with robocopy and synctoy once I shut down the "SQL Server (ACT7)" service but it's ugly. I may have to resort to a backup program as you suggest.

So I'm still looking for an answer about the Unicode export...

And if I wanted to save a copy of the database, do I need to copy over all 3 files (ADF, ALF, PAD) and the folder files? Or is just the  PAD file?

Nickel Elite Contributor

The pad file is only a pointer, the ADF and ALF and the database files folder are the database files.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

OK, so I'd really need all the files. I could probably export as well.

Still looking for some enlightenment concerning the Unicode export... 

Nickel Elite Contributor

The following is an export to text tab delimited from the ACT! demo database and opened in NotePad. If you are getting something different I would have to assume that the issue is with your system.

City Country E-mail Address 1 Address 2 Address 3 Phone Company Contact
Los Angeles United States nathan.brittle@dukeindustries.com 4075 Santa Monica Frwy   +1 310-622-1507 Duke Industries Nathan Cutting Brittles
Los Angeles United States stoney.brooke@dukeindustries.com 4075 Santa Monica Frwy   +1 310-622-1502 Duke Industries Stony Brooke
Los Angeles United States john.chance@dukeindustries.com 4075 Santa Monica Frwy   +1 310-622-1504 Duke Industries John Chance
Los Angeles United States ethan.edwards@dukeindustries.com 4075 Santa Monica Frwy   +1 310-622-1501 Duke Industries Ethan Edwards
Los Angeles United States sam.mccord@dukeindustries.com 4075 Santa Monica Frwy   +1 310-622-1505 Duke Industries Sam McCord
Los Angeles United States marion.morrison@dukeindustries.com 4075 Santa Monica Frwy   +1 310-622-1500 Duke Industries Marion Morrison
Los Angeles United States rockwell.torrey@dukeindustries.com 4075 Santa Monica Frwy   +1 310-622-1503 Duke Industries Rockwell Torrey
Los Angeles United States kirby.york@dukeindustries.com 4075 Santa Monica Frwy   +1 310-622-1506 Duke Industries Kirby York

Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Thanks - but you might want to delete the emails and stuff in case people are worried about their privacy.

I did another export and looked at it with Notepad and it comes out looking right (like yours), but if I look at it with emacs, it's obviously a Unicode file. However, if I look at it with Notepad, then write it out and select "ANSI", then that writes it in ascii so I can see it properly in emacs, so I have a work-around. It would be nice however to be able to get ACT to write out ascii directly.

Thanks for your help! 

Nickel Elite Contributor

No problem with the email addresses, they are all phonies from the ACT! demo.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com