Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Quickly build lookup using info from Excel sheet from ACT

Quickly build lookup using info from Excel sheet from ACT

I have a project in which I have an Excel list (from ACT) and I need to quickly make up a look up lis for mail merge.  Our Inport / Export funtion is disabled so is there any way this can be done other than clicking one by the contacts I need?

Bronze Contributor

Re: Quickly build lookup using info from Excel sheet from ACT

It wilol help if we know the version of ACT you are using.

It sounds like an Excel question.

In Excel you have a function calledvLookup.  Use the F1 key to learn about vLookup.

What is the criteria you need for the list to meet the lookup?  I'm thinking it may get complicated on the Excel side -- but maybe not.

On the otherhand, can you use advanced lookup in ACT to create a dynamic group, create a lookup from the group results, and then export the current list to Excel? 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit

It is Sage ACT Premium 2011

Basically I have an Excel sheet with contact/company name and email addresses.

I'd like to see if there is fast way to build a list from ACT for the companies ffrom the ecel sheet...note: the export and import feature of the version we use has been disabled.

If there is no way to do this, I will then have to go company by company in ACT and build a list and with tehcomapnies we have, that will take nearly forever.

Bronze Contributor

Thanks for the response.  A couple of things ...

1.  When you say you have no export or import, are you talking about export under "File"?  How did you get the data into the excel spreadsheet to begin with?  Did it come from ACT? 

2.  Regardless of how you created the Excel spreadsheet, you then have the option of sorting, if that works.  Or you have the option of vLookup.  Use the Excel help files for more information. 

3.  If you don't have export capability, ask your system administrator to give that to you.  Maybe the company has a policy of not allowing intellectual property to be exported into other formats. 

John Purdy

Correct John, the company just didn't want all of exporting and importing tons of info that might slow ACT down.

How I created the Excel sheet?  It was created off of a different source but we know there are many matches with those in ACT.

Bronze Contributor

Inasmuch as this is an ACT community, I'm thinking that you might find good answers in an Microsoft Excel community. 

You should be able to sort the Excel sheet based on your criteria.  You haven't told us what is in the Excel record that would identify it as a record you are looking for.

Also, in ACT, while exporting contacts under the File tab may be greyed out, do you have the option to export a created list straight to Excel.  There should be a button at the top of the list to give you this option.  I have a more recent version, but almost from any list I have the option to click on export to Excel. 

Next suggestion would be to ask if the system administrator would give you permisson to export after normal business hours.

John Purdy