Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Quick Attach with Outlook Problems

Quick Attach with Outlook Problems

I am systems manager and can not figure out how to fix this issue.

I am using ACT 2009 and Outlook 2003.  With 4GB memory on every Dell dual core processing 6600. Pretty fast office PC's.  No messages in the inbox.  1 GB PST with each PST.

I setup the email interface with ACT of which use the Quick Attach Feature.

When you reply or create a new email in Outlook it takes anywhere up to 20 seconds per workstation to create or reply to anbring up an email.

Yes, I have talked to support a dozen times and their solution is either:  That is the way it works, You need to buy an Addon, You need to reduce you PST file.  I have tried the last two and the same problem remains and that is that Outlook Creat or reply to an email is very slow 20 seconds. 

Any Ideas? If there is no solution How do I remove the Qucik attach?  I turned it off in ACT but I can't find out how to remove it from Outlook to increase my speed of emails.

Thank you

J.R. Oyler

Re: Quick Attach with Outlook Problems

Uncheck Word as the email editor in Outlook

- Tools -> Options -> Mail Format

- Uncheck "Use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to edit e-mail messages"

That is only a quick fix and does not solve the problem. I have executives that state that they must be able to use Word as the editor. They have found that their Signature does not come out right and the basic editing features are very limited. This is obviously a problem with the ACT.Outlook.Service.

Act.Outlook.Service only handles recording history from Outlook to ACT!. 

Because the signature was created with Word as the editor is th reason why they're not showing up correctly.  You can simply recreate the signature with the option turned off and the signature will show up properly.

Copper Contributor

Hi David,

has this question being carried over elsewhere?

Actually I have similar problems with Outlook creeping like snail with the ActOutlookService running.

Especially the automatically attachment of eMails sent or received in Outlook to the matching

contact history in ACT gave us a stomachache.

For each incoming mail it parses the complete SQL DB to find a matching eMail address,

I suppose that is what brings Outlook to its knees (even on a high performant P9500/4GbRam).

We have 20000 contacts of whom maximum 100-200 exchange eMails with our teammembers,

but as all internal teammembers are listed as users/contacts in Outlook, every internal note

sent via Outlook ends up at the teammembers history too (overloading the database with

"crap" that is usually directly deleted after being read or better kept in the users Outlook PSTs).

After one week we had 50 meaningful messages in ACT and about 3000 crap with all kinds of

attachments that was (on top of that nonsense) about to be synchronized to our remote sites too.

I am urgently looking to restore Outlook back to it's virgin state and install Act with only the

bare basic feature of sending eMails from within ACT (like we were used with Act5/6) with history

in Act as "nice-to-have" but not a must). So I would like to know how to achieve this again.

Maybe you can add a "do not store user-to-user Outlook stuff in Act history" as a design request?

Until then the standard automatic feature is not useable for our purposes...

best regards,

Martin Glueckmann
ACT since 1995 for 40+ user teams in
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Benelux

Hi David and Martin:

I think my act.outlook.service.exe file is corrupt.  I can't designate Outlook as my e-mail program in Act (only Internet and Outlook Express) and I cannot open my mailbox in Act regardless of the e-mail program choice.  If the file *is* corrupt, how can I fix it?  Could it be another problem?

Constance

ecp

Hi - were you ever given a solution to the day-to-day junk emails from other users that were imported thru the quick attach feature?  Did you find a way to turn off the quick attach?
Copper Contributor

Actually I was not able to solve the problem.

We have gone now thru a repairprocess and kicked out the ACT / Outlook interconnections.

It is a pity but we rather use ACT as standalone application than cluttering our databases with eMail junk.

The repair was not really easy.

If I would have to do it again I would prefer to fully remove ACT and reinstall it from scratch (unchecking any Outlook settings in Quickstart).

What we have done instead:

1. On a blank PC (just plain Company PC Image XPSp2, Office 2007, Virusscan, etc)

we installed a "Registry-Logger" Tool http://sourceforge.net/projects/regshot/

and took a first snapshot before installing ACT with all features (as we did on the machines before)

then took a second snapshot and compared the done changes (many many lines in the registry).

This changes were kept in a text file.

2. starting from scratch we re-imaged the test PC once more and did all steps like before

except that we installed ACT without the outlook integration tools.

The comparision from snapshot 1 and snapshot 2 were stored again in a textfile.

3. Comparing both textfiles gave us the differences and by deleting od adopting all different lines

within the registry of our life systems were were able to get rid of the Outlook integration settings.

Finally we generated a *.reg file to be merged on all user systems (with two klicks).

This was ok for a 40 user installation,

But as I said, on a small scale a fresh de-install and correct re-install will probably be quicker and more stable.

best regards, 

Martin Glueckmann
ACT since 1995 for 40+ user teams in
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Benelux
ecp

Thanks for the info, Martin.  Just a 2 user shop here, so not quite as sophisticated as your operation.  However, we did try to uninstall/reinstall the software.  Only problem is that when configuring the outlook integration, you're required to select how you want Quick Attach to work (whether you want "from" emails, "to" emails, or both "from and to" emails).  Which should be fine because you're only selecting HOW you want Quick Attach to work WHEN you go choose to use the feature.  For some reason, Quick Attach is working all the time, not only when I use the icon.  Tech support said I must have inadvertently set up a rule, but that's not the case.  It is simply importing into history any email that I receive from someone in my database.  I'll have to have someone a little more 'techy' than I look at your work-around to see if that is something we can do.

Thanks very much for your feedback. 

Another person suggested changing your word processing preferences from MicrosoftWord to the ACT word processing.  This works but I was able to stop Quick Attach and still use Microsoft word as my editor.  Try this:

From ACT... Go to Tools, preferences and then email.    It should show your current email settings. If you see a file beneath the heading "Outlook Address Book", click on the "email system setup" button and use the wizard to remove that address book and the problem will go away.