Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Quick Attach Does not offer notification when unable to complete request

Quick Attach Does not offer notification when unable to complete request

Is my system working correctly?  Here's why I ask.  When I "Quick attach" an email to a customers history, quick attach DOES NOT NOTIFY YOU if it was unable to complete the action.  In other words, if you selected quick attach for an email for which there is NO contact record, quick attach does NOT notify you that it was unable to complete the requested action.

I can't imagine this feature doesn't exist - I'm really posting this question just to find out if perhaps my database is not working correctly.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  This makes it very hard to fully "trust" the quick attach feature... as you're never fully SURE the action was completed without actually checking the database history file for that specific contact.

Wes

Copper Contributor

Re: Quick Attach Does not offer notification when unable to complete request

Quick Attach works within the process that is also used to:

• Attach messages from rules
  • Manually attach messages
  • Attach messages which are sent
  • etc.

The basic process is as follows:

When the system knows that an email is to be attached, save the email message to disk with "some information" pertaining to the attachment (such as is this a Quick Attach, a sent message, a manual attachment, etc.)

At some later time when the computer isn't overloaded with other work, a program (Act.Outlook.Service.exe) which is installed to auto-run on startup will notice that the message is waiting to be processed.  At that time, one of two things will happen, the message will be attached to one or more contacts with histories, or it will be placed in a holding queue of messages which could not be processed.

If there are any messages which could not be processed, the program will display an icon in your system tray of an envelope with a red X in the lower right corner.

If you see this icon, double click on it and a dialog will appear.  Click on the errors tab, and you will see all messages which could not be processed, and the reason why.

(The first tab you see will be a list of all of the emails which WERE processed successfully.)

For any message which did not get processed, there are several options which allow you to manually correct the issue.  (For example, you can create a missing contact or contacts, retry because the problem was a network connectivity issue, etc.)

If you do not see the icon, check with Task Manager to be sure that the Act.Outlook.Service.exe process is running.

If it is not, then you can just run it yourself.

If it is, and you cannot see the envelope with the red-X, you can run the program with the -showqueue option to show the dialog with the processed and non-processed items.

(The command line should be "%ProgramFiles%\Act\Act for Windows\Act.Outlook.Service.exe" -showqueue

Additionally, there is a HistoryQueue folder in the AppData\Act\Act for Windows 11 folder.  Any Quick Attach items should be shown in here until they are successfully processed.

Re: Quick Attach Does not offer notification when unable to complete request

Thanks for the response.  I didn't realize the "processing" was delayed for quick attach as well...   and your response makes perfectly good sense.  I can now be assured that if I attempt to process a quick attach and the system has a problem with that request, it will show up in the "unable to process" folder....  which will allow me to make proper system revisions.

Thanks VERY much for your kind response.

Wes