Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Questions re migrating from Goldmine 6.5 to Act 2010

Loyal Listener

Questions re migrating from Goldmine 6.5 to Act 2010

Currently I am a single user who synchonizes between home and office (which I can probably do without, or via LogMeIn), and a Palm device, to be modified to an Android soon.  I've been trying out an old Act 6.0 and it seems to very close to what I need.  I have questions about what to do once I'm ready to make the move.

1.  My database is about 7700 contact records.  Notes and history are very important, as well as links.  I see that there are programs for sale to help with this.  Would a consultant conversion cost more than, for instance, a 5 license MigrateAdmin ?

2.  To cut to the chase, what information, if any, would I lose in this migration?  Would all the Goldmine fields be able to be transferred?

3.  I am confused about the Outlook aspect to this.  Is there a reason I would want to integrate with Outlook, if I don't already?

I'll ask Palm and Android  questions separately.

Thanks for any help,

Deborah

Bronze Contributor

Re: Questions re migrating from Goldmine 6.5 to Act 2010

Deborah,

I'll respond to a couple of your questions:

I think you're asking about converting from GoldMine to ACT! - I hope your intention is to purchase ACT! 2010 (aka version 12) - the latest and greatest version of ACT!  That old ACT! 6 was probably a good introduction to ACT! and served to familiarize yourself, but it's long gone, not supported on currrent operating systems and Microsoft Office versions - and, I'm pretty certain that ASDS' MigrateAdmin does not support such an old version.  Then you asked whether you should use MigrateAdmin or retain a consultant - many of the consultants, myself included, would use MigrateAdmin if you retained us to do it.  Of course, you don't have to use a consultant - you can purchase MigrateAdmin yourself and do the conversion - it's a fantastic product and knows the mapping of the standard GoldMine fields to the standard ACT! fields, AND, it will show you a list of the non-standard GoldMine fields and give you some options on creating them for you.  Some customers retain consultants like me because we're intimately famliar with both products and our knowledge kicks in when things don't convert correctly, or you get error messages.  All history, notes, activities and links will come over, IF it can verify the links (meaning if the links still work)  I don't know what you mean by a 5 license of MigrateAdmin - you buy a license, and it lets you do 5 conversions and no more, so you can do 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 practice or test conversions and still do your final conversion.

ACT! 2010 integrates well with Outlook for e-mail sending and receiving - that's one reason you would want Outlook, and There are so many ways of getting your calendar and contact and task information to/from Palms and Androids that I'll let others weigh in on those questions.

Signature
Loyal Listener

Hi Kevin

Thanks for your quick reply.  Yes, I would definitely be buying the new Act, and in fact I need to download the trial version soon, because this old one really is too far back.  I need to understand how Act handles referrals, since tracking who specifically refers whom is really important to my business.  I don't see that Act has that capability, from what I've seen in the online demo, and that puzzles me.  

Thanks for explaiing the MigrateAdmin 5 conversion aspect to me.  That makes sense, although it also makes me nervous.  I know database conversions can be tricky.  

Deborah

Bronze Contributor

Deborah,

ACT! comes with a standard field called Referred By - you can think of it as the person who referred that contact to you, but I often broaden it to Lead Source field.  That's the simplest way to track who referred whom.  I am fairly certain that MigrateAdmin maps GoldMine's Source field to ACT!'s Referred By field automaticlaly, but you can always override that in the conversion process.  GoldMine's Source field appears in the Upper Left Quadrant, under Title.

Beyond that is the Relationships Tab, where you can link any record to any other record, and you're not limited to just one link, so if 3 different contacts referred a 4th contact to me, I could link the 4th back to each of the 3, assuming they're in ACT!  ACT! 6 didn't have the Relationships Tab, so you would not have seen it in your evaluation.

Signature