Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Questions for 2008

Questions for 2008

I have a few questions in relation to the new version of ACT:

1.  I have quite a few people who are old timers to ACT and are used to the Notes and History Tab merged as one.  Can this be done to the new version??

2.  When doing a quick print on the current window (contact list), the first attempt to print whites out the list and prints a blank page.  In order for me to get the list printed, I have to cancel the first request and make a second request to print.  This happens each and every time I want to do a quick print.  Is this a Bug??

3.  When clicking on the link next to a contact name to format First Name, Middle and Last Name, the first record contact name does not change when moving on to a new contact.  The new contact name does not even appear in the list of choices.  Is this a bug?? Can this be fixed??  The only way to change additional names is to logout and login after each contact update??

4. Can you assign a default group that an agent can log into his database and only see those records, yet still have access to the entire database?  The majority of the time, this agent would only want to see the contacts in his group.

5.  We recently converted an ACT! 6.0 database that utilized the Referred By field.  When viewing the Layout for the database, the field does not appear, however, if switching to Basic layout, the field is there, but their customized fields go back to ACT! default fields.  How can I change this, so we have both on one layout?

I do appreciate and thank those of you that will take the time to help me out.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Questions for 2008

1. I don't think so, although there are tools to export the Notes and then add them to the History. Then you could hide the Notes tab

2 Is it blank to Preview? Have you tried updating your printer driver?

3. Making that change wont change what's in the Contact field. It's for when you do lookups by First Name or Last name, which can be difficult with multiple names, titles or degrees in their name

4. Not really... the Premium version allows you to restrict a user or team to a set of contacts, but the user won't then be able to see the others

5. tools | Design Layouts

We have a work team of V5 ACT users also now running V10 and we are all trying to see what logic was used in making NOTES and HISTORY as two separate tabs??

Nobody here likes it and we would love to hear if there is a way to combine these two tabs as in the old version.
Adam Wilson
TCA High Power Testing Lab

For a couple of users, we have done exports of the Notes and brought them in as History items to combine them. It's not an easy task.

With ACT! 6.0 and earlier, it was a heavily requested function to have them on separate tabs.

With ACT! 6.0 and earlier, it was a heavily requested function to have them on separate tabs.

We would love to hear why this is the case......

Adam
Adam Wilson
TCA High Power Testing Lab

It makes it easier to find the Notes which are usually not date specific than having to search through the History.

History is what you have done with a contact
Notes are points you want to make about the contact
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]
I see a lot of new users happy with separate notes and history; however many ACT 6 users who were used to them combined prefer one tab. That is the human equation; most of us like what we learned first as long as it worked.

The separate tabs for notes and history allows key thoughts to be segmented to one tab and not mixed in with all the auto generated stuff in history. The history can get very full very fast.

I have adapted to a separate note tab, but it did take a while. It is hardest where few notes are used, so checking a different tab is a pain. If you do lots of notes, it is great.

Alan Lee
ACC
E Tech Systems
Chicago

Message Edited by alanmlee on 04-09-2008 09:21 PM

Ok, I'm one of those users who is migrating from Act 2000 to Act 2009, and really needs to merge my notes with my history. I don't need them to be combined going forward (it will be fine to continue using the history for new actions), but in our old version we recorded almost every action as a note when it really should have been recorded as a history. Since it was on one tab, it didn't matter. Now, we must be able to merge all those old notes into the history tab one time.

Essentially, I want to convert all my old notes into chronological histories (since that's really what they are--we just weren't using the old program correctly).

Any SPECIFIC instructions or direction on how to do so?  All I seem to see on this forum is people saying it's possible, or someone else did it once, which really doesn't help me at all, now does it? 

It requires a third party utility to move the existing notes into history.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Contributor

Depending on the amount of notes, this might be an acceptable work around on an individual basis.  Not necessarily a good option if you have hundreds or thousands of contacts.

Run Notes Notes/History report on the individual contact

Click on "Notes" tab and select the period of time to run the report (All?)

Click on "History" tab and deselect "History", "E-Mail", and "Attachments".

Run and save the report in the desired format. 

Open the saved file and copy the contents to the clipboard.

Create a new history entry and call it "Notes prior to January 18, 2009" and paste the contents to the details. 

BTW, I do not know if an entry of this type has a limit of the amount of text that can be copied into it.  I'm sure a more learned community member will alert us if there is a limit.

Also, don't forget that you can do a keyword search on Notes and Histories at the same time -- on a single contact, a group, a company, or a selected lookup.

Hope this helped, but I generally receive change when I offer my 2 cents worth.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013