Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Questions Before Installing Act Pro 2012

Questions Before Installing Act Pro 2012

This will be an install on a new 64 bit Windows 7 PC. THere will be 1 user. I'd like to customize the install to "keep it simple" and minimize the potential for software conflicts. A few questions:

1) Do I need to install SQL server express if I will be a single PC user?

2) If the answer to #1 is no, is there any software function I won't be able to use because of this?

3) I have a 64 bit system. It appears that 2012 is a 32 bit piece of software. I do not wish to downgrade the new PC to 32 bit to accomodate this. Any feedback on this?

Big picture, I'm looking for how to not install some unnecessary pieces of the software without adversely impacting my use of it as a basic CRM tool.

Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Questions Before Installing Act Pro 2012

1. Yes

2. You can't have a database without SQL.

3. ACT! 2012 is compatible with 64-bit Windows 7.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy:

Thanks for the prompt response. By the way- my PC came with SQL server 2005 Compact Edition (ENU). Is your answer to #1 still the same?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Yes, in fact MSSQL 2008 Express will be installed for use by the ACT! program.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

SQL Server is the "engine" that drives ACT!.  The ACT! program that you as the user "look" at is the interface you use to send commands to the SQL Server which in turn queries the actual database file(s) to return the data you want.

Without it, there is no ACT!.

Now, that said, if you were to install the database on a "server", SQL would be installed there, and then you would not have to install it again when you install ACT! on your PC.  But, as you say, this really flies in the face of "keeping it simple".

Speaking in general terms, a given version of ACT! is tied to a specific version of SQL, hence 2005 CE would not be of value here.  Further, ACT! had specific requirments of the instance of the SQL server it speaks to, so again, a generic install of even the correct version of SQL Server would not work.

As far as ACT! being 32bit and Win 7 being 64, as Roy points out - no worries.  And actaully, the SQL Server engine installed with 2012 will be a 64bit version when ACT! is installed on a Win7 64 system.  (Not that it really makes a difference in this application...)