Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Question regarding error Value Cannot Be Null when Deleting Contact

Question regarding error Value Cannot Be Null when Deleting Contact

I'm unable to post on the Question section of the forum.  Moderator please point this in the right direction.

I receive the error "Value Cannot Be Null" when I am deleting a contact that is 1 of 1 and not part of a list of contacts.

When I close the error dialog box, it still shows the contact but has stripped the contact record of all but:

Contact

Company

Work Phone

(or all of what I had entered on that screen - maybe there is more hiding somewhere).

From that point the system seems to be locked.  I can use the pull down menu to 'Lookup a Contact' but once the lookup is entered, nothing happens.

The only way to move on is to close and reopen ACT.  Once I've done that, the contact I was trying to delete is gone.  So it did delete it but gave me a bunch of grief trying to do so.

Assistance requested.

tom@tommacdonaldconsulting.com

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Question regarding error Value Cannot Be Null when Deleting Contact

Hello Tom,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. For the error:
1. Go to Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair - run both repair options.
2. Go back to your duplicate checking settings and enable duplicate checking. Ensure that you have at least one field selected for each record type (contact, group, company). Best to choose "Contact" for contacts, "Company" for companies, "Group Name: for groups.
3. Restart ACT! and test

For the community posting question, to create a new post you would go to the message list for the board, then click New Message in the upper left of the board. If you are already doing this and are unable to post, please detail exactly what you are seeing and any error messages you see. Also, please state which browser and the version of that browser you are using.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

1.  That didn't work.  I don't remember all the fields that were previously filled in but I know it stripped the record of anything on the tabs at the bottom, Salutation, Mailing Address, City, State, Zip, Property Address.  All that is left is Contact Name, Company, DOB #1, Phone.Application Date, Closing Date, Create and Edit Date (not today) on Status Tab.  I think some of those fields are custom fields I created.  Aside from looking at fields on this contact,  I did follow all three of your steps. I can't go any further. Can't bring up any other contacts.  I was able to use a few of the Buttons on the left but when I tried to do something on that screen I received and error similar to "Act can't perform that request.  Please shut down Act.  I did that.  Again, the Contact was no longer there.

2. To post on the community board, I was directed there by Customer Service.  We could never find a NEW or POST button.  We spent about an hour on this.  She finally had me post to the ideas board.  Today, I tripped across it by clicking on one of the forum choices listed on the forum home page. (ACT discussion for 200? and newer).  After arriving on that page, I could then see the NEW or POST button.  It was a very frustrating experience working with this Customer Service Person.  After describing the problem she read it back to me in error.  Even a second time while searching for solutions she read it back in error.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Can you duplicate the issue in the demo database (ACT2012Demo)?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

No, it works properly there.