Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Question on upgrading from ACT! 2000

Question on upgrading from ACT! 2000

If I upgrade, can I install the program on more than one computer?  Now I have ACT! installed on my work computer and my home computer.  I have a backup of the database on a flash drive and only use the home version to look up phone numbers.

Also ACT! 2000 only supports Word 2000 or earlier I believe.  That is becoming an issue, so I now have an older computer that is only used when I need to mail a letter to a client and want to use a template.  Do you know if the newer versions of ACT! support Word 2000, or would I need to upgrade to a newer version?

Re: Question on upgrading from ACT! 2000

I primarily want to add a second Notes/History tab so I can keep two Notes/History per client.  What version would you recommend?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Where to begin! OK Word 2000 is not supported on the latest version of the ACT program, Word 2003  is the oldest version supported. Yes you can install the latest version on more than one computer because ACT! is licensed to the named user not the machine. However, you would need to setup synchronization to share the database between the home system and the office system. Moving the database between systems using a flash drive isn't impossible but not practical. The Notes and History are now on separate tabs. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

Also, pardon if I am not undestanding your question, while current versions of ACT! do have a seperate tab for Notes and history, you still can only have one notes tab and one history tab visible in any one layout at a time (barring the use of an addon)...

I have an insurance agency and sell auto & home insurance as well as life insurance and mutual funds.  I would like to separate the notes and history for the auto/home from the life insurance/investments.  I was hoping to add a second notes tab so I can have one client record but separate notes.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Most definitely your application would benifit from custom tables. The ACT! program has the capability of having custom tables added to the database via the software developer kit but dosen't provide a user interface. There a couple of third party plugins that provide the user interface, they are TopLine Designer and the Durkin Toolkit.

With the custom tables you would be able to do things like list the various policies for a client. A separate table could list investments. You could even setup someting like a second history table.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129