Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Question about importing data

Question about importing data

I have an existing ACT 2011 database in which one field is empty.  There are just over 70,000 records.  I want to populate the empty database from data in an excel file.  Is there a way to append my existing database with the data from an outside excel datasource?  If so, how can I make sure that the data elements "line up" and populate the correct field for the right record.

I am hoping that I explained this properly - if not - let me know and I'll try it again.

Thanks in advance for any help or direction any one can give me.

Dov

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Question about importing data

I think so.

You need to have enough information to uniquely identify each record, and then you need to define that matching criteria when doing the import.

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP
Platinum Elite Contributor

The ACT! import can't update data in the field ... but, as long as that field is definitely empty, it may work.

The tougher question is: do you have a field (or group of fields) in both ACT! and Excel that will guarantee finding the correct matching record?

Thank you both for responding.  The key answer to having a unique identifier in both databases to match up on is yes - I have a registration number.  But when I go through the import process the field I want to import doesn't show up in the existing Act database.  Is there a way to manually specify which field should be used as the unique id?

Thanks again,

Dov

Copper Elite Contributor

I hope that I am remembering this correctly (and maybe Mike or one of the other consultants can bring their knowledge to bear on this), but I believe that you will need to enable duplicate checking in your Preferences (Preferences|Admin) specifying the match with your registration number.  That number will have to be in your import file and be mapped to your associated Act field.

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP

I appreciate the response.  Yes, I went to the preference page and made sure the appropriate boxes were checked.  I can run the merge but no data shows up.  I check the log but it only shows errors.  I don't see where it tells me if any records were merged or updated. 

My bad - sorry - I meant that the log only lists errors WHEN THEY OCCUR - I didn't have any errors listed but I also don't see the data I want to merge either.

So, you don't get any errors?
Have you selected to replace the contact info from the source?

If you don't have all the data in the source, I find it's much more reliable to use an add-on such as itImport:
http://www.glcomputing.com.au/main/57/1

I selected the merge option instead of the replace option because I'm looking to add data to only one field.  I created a database and imported data from one source to populate the act db.  I then realized I needed to add a field for Birthday so I created the field in my act db and have a second source that has birthday along with last name and a registration number that is also in my act db.  I am matching up on this registration number (unique) and last name.  But when I try to import birthday - the field still remains blank.

The birthday field in the act db is a date field and in my second source I believe it is a number field.  Could this be causing the problem?  If so, what is the best practice for converting the data from number to date fields?

Thanks again for your prompt reply.

Dov