Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Question about Act by Sage 2011

Question about Act by Sage 2011

Hello guys,

I am about to install Act by Sage 2011 (V12.0) but I am currently holding my self in. We've been running ACT 2007 (v9.0) for a long time. On our desktops/clients the software is still running, however on our server the license turned down into a trial versions. Since I want to upgrade our old license to the new one, I would like to know how to do it in to a step by step.

Since I am also unable to go to file > Back-up I am unable to create  a back-up on the server side. What could be the best thing to do?

I hope anyone can help me out,

With best regards,

Bob.

Re: Question about Act by Sage 2011

Anyone?

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Bob,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

First, you mention the server running ACT! 2007 in 'trial' mode.  You can register the program on the server using one of your workstation serial numbers. 

Second, you mention not being able to create a backup.  Is this because the function is grayed out?  Have you verified that the ACT! username you are signing on with has Administrator or Manager level access?  As an alternative, here is an article with instructions for creating a backup of your database manually: KB Article 23392

Note: The article was written for moving a database, but you can use the instructions up through the Copy steps - then reopen the database in it's original location.

Installing ACT! 2011 will update the current installation of ACT! 2007.  It will also install SQL 2008 and update the ACT7 instance within SQL.  Here is an article with the instructions for installing over a previous version of ACT!: KB Article 26750

Greg Martin
Sage

Hello Greg,

If I am right I have to create a back-up on the server itself? Since I still have the activasion screen (I haven't got time to activate it with an Workstation key) I have to make it on the server right?

Thanks for the fast and kind reply!

With best regards,

Bob

Platinum Super Contributor

Assuming the database is physically located on the server, you will need to make the backup on the server.
Note: The upgrade to 2011 will upgrade the database in it's current location, but it is best practice to have a backup before beginning.
Greg Martin
Sage

Dear Greg,

I've just updated the server succesfully to the new version of ACT!.

However one machine running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 is not able to connect to the database on our server. Do you know why this happens?

With best regards,

Bob