Do you mean 

Query about linking to contact field

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Query about linking to contact field

[ Edited ]

Hi, this might sound confusing but...

I know how to link a contact to a company where you click on a contact's company and are immediately taken to their company's page . But can this be done the other way around? i.e. When in Companies can I link a created field to an individual contact and be immediately taken to that contact's page?.

The reason I am trying to do this is because I have had to add all my companies into the database as contacts in order to be able to group them. This means that I have each company in Act! twice - once as a company with all their details and once as a contact.

So, the aim is to be able to flick between the two occurrences of the company as quickly as possible. Currently I can only do that in one direction (from Contacts to Companies).

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author JakeGSG
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Re: Query about linking to contact field

Good morning Jake,

I don't believe you can hyperlink to a specific page on a specific contact.  As you linked the contacts to the companies, you automatically create a hyperlink from the contacts tab back to a specific contact. 

You do not have the ability to create a field and have it hyperlink to a specific contact record.

As I read your question, I'm not sure you have the contacts and companies set up correctly or you may not understand how they relate.  What you are asking for should be the default for setting up the company link. 

Go the the contacts tab in the companies view and there should be a list of all the contacts working for that company and they should show as a hyperlink.  You click there and link to the contact's profile.

Did this address your question?

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author JakeGSG
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Good morning Jake,

I don't believe you can hyperlink to a specific page on a specific contact.  As you linked the contacts to the companies, you automatically create a hyperlink from the contacts tab back to a specific contact. 

You do not have the ability to create a field and have it hyperlink to a specific contact record.

As I read your question, I'm not sure you have the contacts and companies set up correctly or you may not understand how they relate.  What you are asking for should be the default for setting up the company link. 

Go the the contacts tab in the companies view and there should be a list of all the contacts working for that company and they should show as a hyperlink.  You click there and link to the contact's profile.

Did this address your question?

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit
Nickel Contributor

If you linked your contact to the company record, then the contact should appear in the company screen under the Contacts tab and you should be able to just click the contact name under that tab to go to the contact record from the company screen.

Gilles Cavin
http://www.exponenciel.com
Make sure you check our free Act! add-ons!
Create Web forms in seconds and import form results directly into Act! with Automatic Web Forms
Fill in PDF Forms without retyping data using Act! to PDF Forms
Copper Contributor

Thanks for your responses. It seemed I was over-thinkning my problem and my non-familiarity with Act! meant I overlooked the solution that was right under my nose.

As you both point out the employees at a given company will appear in the 'Contacts' tab in Companies as links to that contact's page. This is what I needed. Because the company an employee works for appears within the layout in it's own 'Company' field I thought I could create a similar 'Contact' field within Companies.