Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

[QUESTION] How to enter dynamic information into Contact Fields.

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

[QUESTION] How to enter dynamic information into Contact Fields.

I will give you a quick synopsis.

I have information that I enter into my contacs field regularly that eventually I need to change. (i.e. Same customer, different vehicle...now I need to enter in that new vehicles information.)

Is there a way to do this so that all old versions of those fields will be somehow saved?

I was also thinking maybe utilizing the user fields tab could work. I just need a way to be able to enter information into the same field, but not have it overwrite the old version.

Any help is appreciated, but if not I can call customer support so no worries Smiley Happy Thanks!!

"People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people."

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author groofop
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: [QUESTION] How to enter dynamic information into Contact Fields.

You have a couple of optionsand the one you choose depends on how often and how easily you need to access the archeive information.

The first would be to make the fields in question History fields that way any time the field is changed a history record would be created detailing the change. The pro, there's no additional cost and it's easy to set up, the con, finding the old information isn't real easy because the information is mixed in with all the other history records for the contact.

The second would be to use a custom table for the information. This option requires an plugin to create and manage the custom table that's added to the database. You could setup the table to have all the fields that would be variable and each time the information is changed for one or more of the fields you would add a new record to the table with the changed data. The custom table would show as a tab on the layout. I use an alternative to this where I need to do annual updates to a set of fields. I have the current information on fields in my regular layout and then annually I use a command to copy the information in those fields to new records (dated) in my archeive table. The type of plug in needed is available from Topline Computing or Durkin Computing. The pro, it's a very good arvheive record, the con, it does require the purchase of a third party plugin.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author groofop
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

You have a couple of optionsand the one you choose depends on how often and how easily you need to access the archeive information.

The first would be to make the fields in question History fields that way any time the field is changed a history record would be created detailing the change. The pro, there's no additional cost and it's easy to set up, the con, finding the old information isn't real easy because the information is mixed in with all the other history records for the contact.

The second would be to use a custom table for the information. This option requires an plugin to create and manage the custom table that's added to the database. You could setup the table to have all the fields that would be variable and each time the information is changed for one or more of the fields you would add a new record to the table with the changed data. The custom table would show as a tab on the layout. I use an alternative to this where I need to do annual updates to a set of fields. I have the current information on fields in my regular layout and then annually I use a command to copy the information in those fields to new records (dated) in my archeive table. The type of plug in needed is available from Topline Computing or Durkin Computing. The pro, it's a very good arvheive record, the con, it does require the purchase of a third party plugin.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thank you so much! The Custom Table plug-in is amazing!

+1

"People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people."