Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Q 1: Act7 (2005) fails to launch. Q 2: I'd like to relocate the DB

Q 1: Act7 (2005) fails to launch. Q 2: I'd like to relocate the DB

Q 1: When trying to launch Act7 it complains that a firewall or anti-virus is preventing the startup. There is no firewall and I turned off the AVG free anti-virus. No change. Can't launch Act on this system - the system containing the Act database but other systems on the network launch fine and use the Act database on this machine. This set up has not changed in a very long time, nothing new has been done, it was working one day, I made no changes and it does this the next day. This is scary stuff. I don't want to mess up the boss's business. This system is running XP Home, there are a total of 8 PC's on this network, 3 XP Home, 5 XP Pro.

Q 2: The user on the system where Act has it's database files keeps too many windows open running multiple apps and we think that's slowing down everyone's access to Act. I copied everything that was in the shared folder where the "contacts.pad" file lives (figuring that I moved everything Act needs to access) to an unused system on the network to speed things up. I then, on one system (my experiment), told Act to go to the new location for it's database. It didn't work. What is the trick to getting act to look in a new place for it's data? The Quickbooks database is also located on this machine but is not accessed often.

Thank you and wish me luck.

(I'm an old PDP/VAX man, I'd rather bang on hardware)
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Q 1: Act7 (2005) fails to launch. Q 2: I'd like to relocate the DB

Hey there D-Oh,
Q1 - Have you checked that the windows firewall has been turned off? That is usually the root of all my problems to date! The other thing is I noticed with ACT! 7 there was some really bad memory management and issues with GDI handle management (actually its not just an ACT! thing its also a .NET thing as well!). In some cases not to sound too much like a cliche, a reboot of the machine resolved a lot of these issues! Let me know if this doesn't help and I can try and think of something else!

Q2 - The 3 files for a dB are the PAD file (a xml file that points to the machine name and dB name), ADF - the data file and the ALF (memory fails me as to what this is) I think it may be associated with file locks. If you want to move dB's doing a File->Backyp and then a Restore As on the new machine where you can give it a new name etc or you could simply open the ADF which will recreate the PAD file to the new machine. I think method 1 is a better way to go personally!

HTH
Vivek
Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog

Thanks Vivek for your suggestions. They had already tried restarting the system, I went there this morning in person to find things were worse off. I did a complete shutdown/cold start but ACT would not launch. It starts with an ACT! error complaining that "Some anti-virus and firewall software interfere(d) with the installation of ACT!..." AVG anti-virus was indeed turned off and no firewall was on....and we're not INSTALLING Act!! It's been running fine for years. I hit OK then it displayed "Question" "An ACT7 instance of Microsoft SQL Server 2000 has been detected. However we were unable to make a connection and verify the existing SQL-Server 2000 is supported for ACT! 2005 Premium. You can uninstall your existing SQL Server 2000 or you can try to enter your 'sa' password to try to reconnect. ...yes to enter 'sa' password or no to cancel." Huh?! ACT! 2005 "Premium"?!! We have Act7 2005, no "Premium" mentioned until this error. Hmmm, did someone click on some tricky advertisement from ACT to upgrade then abort midway when they realized that it wasn't free? If so maybe that's why ACT on this machine is now a mess. But apparently the database is unaffected and still dishing out contacts to the other systems running ACT. I think I'm going to have to reload ACT on this machine - but first to save those database files. More info: If I click on "yes" it wants that 'sa' password which I do not have. Loop. If I click on "No" I wind up with a long wait for a "cancel" to complete and then, ready for this? The InstallShield Wizard comes up saying "Completing the ACT! 2005 Premium Setup Program" "Setup has finished installing ACT!" If I click on FINISH and we loop back to the anti-virus/firewall error message and this all starts all over again. This thing is hosed. System restore doesn't work either, "Encountered an error and needs to close". Looks like a big database save, format, reload WinXp, load ACT, but first...both the WinXP disk and the ACT disks have disappeared along with the previous I.T. guy. Do you think Sage will provide a replacement copy of ACT for a nominal fee, the office paid for a bunch of licenses for each machine? Now to see if MS will do the same for the missing copy of XP. Labor, WinXP, maybe I suggest to the president that he buy a new system (pity, it's a good machine) and another copy of ACT...or will mixing old and new ACTS bring on more headaches. D-oh!
Platinum Elite Contributor

1. Most likely the error you have is the one described in this article in the ACT! Knowledge Base - http://tinyurl.com/2zg5gu
It's not usually a firewall issue... it just means it can't see the server and doesn't know why. Try all the steps in that article.

2. To move a database: File | Backup
Copy the ZIP file it creates to the new machine
File | Restore | Restore As - be sure to select Restore As
You'll then need to send the new PAD file from the new system to the workstations so they are pointed at the new server

Thank you Mike for your input. I will soon be back onsite to try this. The things that worry me are: 1> This system is not 100% stable, Windows refuses to allow me to create a restore point - the reason I wish to wipe out and reload the hard drive. 2> Right now the other users are counting on this one system to dish out the contacts and scheduling in this busy office - only one (unfortunately important) user uses this machine and they really need me to get ACT working on it. I worry about following instructions that may bring the entire office to an abrupt halt.

I have purchased a spare HD and a fresh copy of WinXP PRO (since the previous IT guy made off with the Windows disk). This way I may copy the database to the unused system using your instructions, then remove the hard drive that is still working for the rest of the office and keep it as a safety net. Then install Windows, some apps and ACT on the new drive. If everything goes wrong I can re-install the original drive and they are right back where they were - still in business minus one user.

One question - You say I'll need to "send" the new PAD file to each system from the new location. How is this done? Would I go to each location and do some kind of "Restore from" or something? The database (and "Contacts.pad") lives on one system for all to use, it doesn't live on each system so your instruction to "send" it to each system confuses me. I didn't check, is it also on each user's system?

On day-one I tried just dragging all of the folders where the database files live to the idle system but when trying to tell ACT on a user's system to go there to find it's data it didn't like it. Maybe having ACT and the database files on that system isn't enough, perhaps ACT doesn't install SQL Server if it is told this is a user machine during install. I don't know. I inherited this mess, I didn't install it. I know nothing about ACT. I appreciate your help. Pity ACT doesn't do like Norton, call them, a guy in India (after you spend an hour with someone else who doesn't know anything you escalate to the knowledgeable guy) who uses LogMeIn.com to remote control your machine and fixes the problem. Makes for a happy customer.

Thanks,

Bruce Smiley Surprised)

If the machine isn't stable, I wouldn't try ACT! till it is... ACT! relies a lot on microsoft system components

The users would open the database by opening the PAD file... you might just have one pad file on the server that everone uses or you might copy it locally for each user. No real difference, but if using local PAD and you move the database, you need to give the users the new PAD

You can't just copy or move the ACT! files. You mush Backup and Restore

ACT! installs SQL on all machines.

Support do use remote control software for some issues

Using a good stable user's machine I launched ACT and successfully created the two ZIP files saving them to the new target system. Then just as an exercise without changing the PAD file I tried the Restore, Restore As, gave it a new name (it asked for one) and browsed to the new location (as it requested) it then failed miserably complaining that the location was not a valid database location or something (I'll have to recheck my notes). Fortunately I had created a restore point on this user's machine so I could fully recover. The target system is unable to create a restore point so before I try this again for real (copying the PAD file to each system) I will have to make the new target system stable - the big wipeout/reload WinXP. Once ACT is happily accessing it's DB on the unused machine I can rebuild the hosed up original user machine where the DB is now. I'll keep you posted, might be tomorrow or not until next week.
Thanks again, Bruce

D-oh wrote:
Using a good stable user's machine I launched ACT and successfully created the two ZIP files saving them to the new target system. Then just as an exercise without changing the PAD file I tried the Restore, Restore As, gave it a new name (it asked for one) and browsed to the new location (as it requested) it then failed miserably complaining that the location was not a valid database location or something (I'll have to recheck my notes). Fortunately I had created a restore point on this user's machine so I could fully recover. The target system is unable to create a restore point so before I try this again for real (copying the PAD file to each system) I will have to make the new target system stable - the big wipeout/reload WinXP. Once ACT is happily accessing it's DB on the unused machine I can rebuild the hosed up original user machine where the DB is now. I'll keep you posted, might be tomorrow or not until next week.
Thanks again, Bruce

When you Restore_As, it will create a new PAD file.
You can only create a new database on a local drive. What folder did you try to create the Restore_as the database to?

Sorry for the delay. It was a drive on an unused machine on the network. I was unaware that "Restore As" would not work when backing up (then moving the data) to a drive on another machine. I still need to relocate the DB to a machine without a user on it. It was suggested that I could just simply use "Add or Remove Programs" to wipe out ACT, say "NO" to "remove SQL?" then reinstall ACT and that will fix this machine (Haven't tried it yet). Then use some "Detach" command to release the DB from SQL which will allow me to move it to an other machine, a machine with no user. I'll report back after I've been back onsite to try these. Thanks again.

D-oh wrote:
Sorry for the delay. It was a drive on an unused machine on the network. I was unaware that "Restore As" would not work when backing up (then moving the data) to a drive on another machine. I still need to relocate the DB to a machine without a user on it. It was suggested that I could just simply use "Add or Remove Programs" to wipe out ACT, say "NO" to "remove SQL?" then reinstall ACT and that will fix this machine (Haven't tried it yet). Then use some "Detach" command to release the DB from SQL which will allow me to move it to an other machine, a machine with no user. I'll report back after I've been back onsite to try these. Thanks again.

Not sure what you're trying to do here.

You have to restore_as on the machine with the drive you want the database on.

The user is not on the machine, the users are in the database... but you DO need ACT! on the machine that the database is on