Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Putting a database on a server

Putting a database on a server

Hi,

I am currently trying to put a database that has been on a local computer onto a server. I have tried to do this by backing the database up and restoring it to the server but this gives me an error about restoring a database to a non local drive.

How do I get this database onto my server?

best regards,

Matt

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Putting a database on a server

After "Restore" you need to use "Restore As"

Also, you need to restore to a local physical volume C/D (eg on the server, not from your workstation) ... not a mapped drive
Platinum Elite Contributor

You must have the ACT! program installed on the server.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Mike,

We already have a database on the server and I have tried to save this new one to the same place with no sucess.

When you say that I would need to restore to a local physical volume C/D could I save it to a USB then load it directly onto the server? Would this make it work?

I am confused!!

Cheers,

MAtt

Also I keep having to change my password to access this website. Even when I reset it, the site denys that I have used the password that I know I have. I guess this is a bit outside the remit but thought I would ask.

Bronze Super Contributor

We already have a database on the server and I have tried to save this new one to the same place with no sucess.

You do mean an ACT! database and not another app's SQL database, yes?

When you say that I would need to restore to a local physical volume C/D could I save it to a USB then load it directly onto the server? Would this make it work?

Yes, you could use a USB key to load the ACT! back up, or probably simpler, just copy the ACT! backup file to the shared server drive you were attempting to restore it to from your workstation.

Then go to the server, open the ACT! application there, and then restore it to the server drive...