Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Putting Company Field Data In A Report or Document for a Contact

Bronze Contributor

Putting Company Field Data In A Report or Document for a Contact

Ver 11

Is it possible to create a report that will show the name, address, city, state, zip from a contact and the linked data from a tab under company?

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Putting Company Field Data In A Report or Document for a Contact

Not sure exactly what you want to do. One of the restrictions of the ACT! reports is that you can add a company or group subreport to a contact based report. However if you are referring to fields in the contact table that are linked to fields in the company table, the data should be present in both tables and you should be able to include it in a report.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Contributor

Hi Roy.  I always appreciate your clear approach to my muddy questions.

Maybe an example would be best.

I've set up and linked contacts to a company.  So, let's say that John is a contact working for a RoyInc. 

Under RoyInc there is a new tab called "Open Action Items" which are note fields. 

I want to create a document that will have the name, address, city, state, zip, and phone of John and all the "Open Action Items" that are under the Company view. 

There could also be another employee, Judy.  I would want to print Judy's information but the same "Open Action Items" printed on the document.

Does that make sense now, or have I clouded the issue even further?

Thanks, and I'll look for your reply.

John Purdy
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Bronze Contributor

Well, I figured it out.  It's all in learning to think in a different way about the relationship between the company and the contact and what has to be set up.

I was thinking that if I created a data field in the company view, it would automatically be picked up in the contact's view as long as the same field was in that layout.  But, I learned that you can't put a company specific field in a contact layout.  But you can link a field in the company layout to a unique field in the contact layout. 

So if I am collecting 50 characteristics about a company by way of yes/no fields, I will have to have the same number of fields in the contact layout and then link them through the define fields under tools.

Then when I want to run a report on the contact, I will use the fields in the contact view that will pick up the data in the company layout. 

It also appears that the data is not automatically updated between conmpany and contact and that the user has to click on "Update linked contacts" to have the data transferred.  Is this part correct? 

John Purdy