Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Pushing ACT Groups to Outlook 2010 Contacts

Copper Contributor

Pushing ACT Groups to Outlook 2010 Contacts

Just thought I'd check one more time if anyone knows - looking for a simple way to push ACT! 2012 groups to Outlook 2010 contacts folder. There must be some way to do this easier than an export from ACT and then import into Outlook.

Please let me know if this possible. Thanks

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Pushing ACT Groups to Outlook 2010 Contacts

The way I usually do that is with CompanionLink.  It works pretty well synchronizing ACT! and Outlook.  One of the problems with CompanionLink in the past was that you would occasionally get duplicates but I haven't seen that happen in a while.  Someone else posted that they have lost e-mail addresses when using CompanionLink so I would advise you to make sure that you back up both ACT! and Outlook regularly which you should be doing in any case.  To reduce the likelihood you can do a one way sync and just push ACT! to Outlook.

www.companionlink.com

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

Thanks Stan. Appreciate the advice. So even to do a one-way sync to Outlook would require Companion Link? I thought about using the ACT-Outlook sync provided in ACT 2012, but I can't seem to do a one way sync with that.

Silver Super Contributor

Yes a one way sync requires a 3rd party addon.  There are others but I usually use CompanionLink.  I had actually forgotten that they put contact sync in ACT! but it doesn't map Groups to Categories so it may not be as useful for you.  I've been thinking about writing a little utility that would map Groups to Categories since there are so many requests for it but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Stan, does CL map Groups to Categories? Not sure it did when I last looked.

I usually prefer 123 Synchronizer to sync ACT! an Outlook - http://www.123sync.com/
It does more ... but mainly it has less data issues once it's set up correctly.

I prefer to avoid the built-in contact sync ... causes way too many issues
Silver Super Contributor

Mike,

Now that you mention it I don't think it does.  I think it maps ID/Status to Categories.  The clients that I was working with used ID/Status to create their groups which is why I was confused.

I thought 123 Synchronizer's primary focus was synching with Exchange.  I didn't realize that it will sync with a local copy of Outlook.  I'll have to take another look at it.  Does it put sync Groups with Categories?

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Copper Contributor

Thank you gentlemen. Stan if you can create a utility that would be great, in the meantime we'll look at the 3rd party sync ideas you have given me.