Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Pushing ACT! Contacts to Outlook

Copper Contributor

Pushing ACT! Contacts to Outlook

Looking for a simple way to "push or 1-way sync" ACT! Pro 2012 contacts from our shared database to Outlook Exchange 2010 on a Windows 7 system. I've tried "Sync with Outlook", but I can't clearly tell if it's a true 1-way sync and don't want to risk having bad information come back to my ACT! database.

Also, is there a way to create sync sets based on ACT! contact groups without having to set sync criteria using filters, etc?

We'd like to take an ACT! group and sync that to an Outlook contact subfolder if possible.

Would like to do this using the ACT! software we have and not thrid party programs. Is this possible? Thank you.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Pushing ACT! Contacts to Outlook

No ... the Outlook sync is 2-way - and I really would advise against using it if connected to Exchange

What is the reason you want it? Just to have in in Outlook or to get it to phones?
Copper Contributor

Yes, we love ACT for sorting and grouping (none better), however we still like Outlook for e-mailing and syncing our phones.

Sounds like our best solution here is to use Companion Link or Handheld Contact. Thanks for the help.

You'd always use Outlook for emailing...

For the phones, I'd use Handheld Contact - because it supports the Act! data format, it's the most reliable. It's my preference

If you must go via Exchange, the only reliable way is 123Sync: http://bit.ly/Act123Sync
Bronze Super Contributor

+1 for Handheld Contact

and

+1 for 123 Sync

both for different use cases, but both work well.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the ideas. Is Companionlink also a viable option?

Bronze Super Contributor

NO! -10

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

Just curious, why is that not a good choice? From what I see it get's good reviews and I think people on these same boards have recommended it before.

It's been known to eventually cause duplications of data that becomes a real mess to clean up
Copper Contributor

Mike, Thanks for explaing that we could end up with duplication problems. We certainly don't want that with 3000 contacts.

Do you think it would be a problem doing a one-way sync to Outlook which would preserve our ACT! database or would the Outlook data start possible duplicating? It looks like I may be left with 123 Sync in the Exchange environment. Thanks