Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Purpose of the new Outlook - Act synchronization utility? What does it add over existing functionality?

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Purpose of the new Outlook - Act synchronization utility? What does it add over existing functionality?

I notice in Act 2011 that an Act to Outlook synchronization utility is included (and auto started regardless of if you want it or not).  I'm uncertain as to why I would want to use this. 

Current Situation:

Calendar:  When I create a meeting invite in Act, it goes through Outlook to get sent and thus updates the Outlook calendar.  When I receive a calendar invitation it arrives via Outlook (and thus updates the Outlook calendar before it updates to Act calendar)

For contacts, the Act database is also an outlook address book.

In both cases, the above are of course done in real time.

Blackberry synchronization is accomplished via companion link against the ACT database

So my questions is - what does this ACT-Outlook  synchronization utility do that isn't happening already?  What am I missing?  I'm sure this is described somewhere, but unfortunately I have been unable to find a write-up from Symantec that explains why I would want to run this.

Thanks

Ken

===========================
Ken Wiens
Project and Program Manager
www.kgw-consultants.com
============================

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author kenwiens
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Purpose of the new Outlook - Act synchronization utility? What does it add over existing functionality?

It has quite a few issues, and I prefer not to recommend it.

But, it's useful in a corporate setting where some users are on ACT! and other not ... then the non-ACT! users still have the ability to view the contacts and schedules for the ACT! users.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author kenwiens
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Purpose of the new Outlook - Act synchronization utility? What does it add over existing functionality?

It has quite a few issues, and I prefer not to recommend it.

But, it's useful in a corporate setting where some users are on ACT! and other not ... then the non-ACT! users still have the ability to view the contacts and schedules for the ACT! users.