Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Purging Attachments

Purging Attachments

I have removed data older than 5 years from my ACT 10 Premium DB using "Tools", "DB Maintenance", "Remove Old Data", followed by a Reindex of my DB, but I noticed no reduction in the large number of files in my Attachments Folder, many of which are older than 5 years.  Are there any tools available in ACT that will enable me to delete/purge old attachments according to their age?  Thanks.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Purging Attachments

Since the attachments are not part of your ACT! data file (.adf), those will have to deleted by actually going into the Attachments folder through My Computer/Windows Explorer and manually removing.  You can sort chronologically and delete the ones you do not want.  You can also just cut/paste them into another location if you just want to remove them from ACT!, but keep them in case you need them.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I have started an archive DB, exported about 1500 of my old contacts to the archive DB and then deleted them from my primary DB, leaving about 1500 contacts in the primary DB.  I then purged data over 5 years old using the "DB Maintenance", "Purge Old Data" Tool.  I then went into the Attachments folder and deleted attachments older than 5 years, and then started to manually open & delete attachments that were no longer needed.

I remember reading in an ACT Knowledge Base article that when you perform DB maintenance (Integrity and Re-index), that ACT is supposed to delete attachments that do no have an associated contact in the DB.  I have performed the DB Maint/Check and Repair many times since deleting half of my contacts from my primary DB, however, the number of attachments in my Attachments folder did not change.  In fact, as I started manually opening & deleting attachments from the Attachments folder, I noticed that many of them were from contacts which are no longer in my DB.  So, is there a way to delete attachments from the Attachments folder which no longer have an associated contact in the database, other than by opening up the attachment, confirming it belongs to a contact which is no longer in the DB, and then manually deleting it?  Thanks.

JM
Nickel Contributor

I know this is an old post but while looking for a solution I found one, so I figured it be worth adding to this post.

The issue when you just manually delete a file in the Database\Attachments> folder there is still a reference pointing to it in Contact record Documents Tab.

I have and ran Exponenciel http://www.exponenciel.com/ program "Purge Notes & History" which has a check box to select to also remove the Link to a file.  After that is done you can go into attachments folder and delete the files.

JM

Copper Contributor

I know this post is old, so someone may not even reply, but I thought about the manual deletion of Attachments on the main db server.  Does that mean that we have to do the same thing for remote databases at the same time?  We are worried about synching.  We have Act! 17.2

So far, I have found nothing to confirm the action.

JM
Nickel Contributor

When you go into the Contact record Documents Tab and remove file(s) then have your Network remote sites sync yes the remote sites will no longer have the attachments.

JM

Copper Contributor

Manually remove them all from the actual database? Sorry, new to Act! (not my choice of sw solution) as an ERP IT guy. I am looking at removing 2/3 years of attachments. Support thus far has not been ideal even though we pay for it.
JM
Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

I could not find a way to remove mass number of files attachmented to contact records that would also remove the link in the contact record documents tab.

Contact these companies to see what they can do.

http://www.adsprogramming.com/products/snapintools-for-act/ 

or this 

http://www.actaddons.eu/

Maybe he can create a custom add-on if convert attachments to shortcuts does not work for you.

ps I just edited this post to correct typo's

JM

Administrator

Have you tried the "Document tab entries older than" option in the Remove Old Data tool found in Tools > Database Maintenance?

Act!_2016-03-17_15-55-51.png

Copper Contributor

I just found that.  We are going to test a small sample and see what occurs.

I'm definitely not an Act! novice just yet.  ;-)

Thanks for the feedback.  Have you used it successfully, Gary?