Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Purchasing Help, ACT questions on sharing databases between computers

Purchasing Help, ACT questions on sharing databases between computers

Hello,

A colleague of mine needs some help with an ACT! database and I'm hoping to be of assistance. They are running ACT 2008. I wanted to know if I need to be running the same version of ACT to help them work on some databases, or if I am even able to create or modify a database and send it back to them when we are remote from each other and running our own separate licenses. I'd most likely be taking Excel spreadsheets, bringing them into ACT! and then sending them back over. I have read some reviews about ACT 2009 and it almost seems as if 2008 may be a wiser pick. I would love some recommendations before I buy. Also, does anyone feel strongly about whether it makes more sense to order the hard copy/CD or just do the instant download? Thanks so much!

Nickel Contributor

Re: Purchasing Help, ACT questions on sharing databases between computers

You'll have to be in the same versions to work on a database. 2009 is a better product than 2008 and hard copies or downloads should be identical.

Thank you for your reply and help. If I purchase the same version they have, or if they update to the new version and I work with that, do you know if I will be able to import an Excel database into ACT! and then email or FTP the file to them, or burn it onto a CD and mail it?I haven't used ACT in about 3 years or so and I can't recall if this is a tough task or something that should be done relatively easily. Thanks!
Nickel Contributor

If your in the same version you could have the owner create a remote database for you and you can make the neccessary changes and sync it back to the host. However if you didn't want to tackle synchronization also you can mail the db files back and forth and just for the sake of reitteration, both applications must be on the same version/schema.