Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Proper use of Groups

Proper use of Groups

I am currently using 2011 ACT with 7000 contacts and no groups assigned.  I would like to "remove" all contacts older than 2009, but not delete them from the database.  Would it be advisable to create 2 groups, "Active Clients" & "Archived Clients" such that I can sort and list only on the Active clients, and not have have the pre '09 clients in my sorts/list/reports etc.?  This would allow me to maintain all contacts in one DB but not have them in a different database.  Seems this wold be easier for my DB users.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Proper use of Groups

Groups are one of the things that sets ACT ahead of other systems.  I'd take the idea you have, but add one piece of customization.  Use the ID/Status field, or another field, and tag the "old" clients as such (i.e. Archived), and the active clients "Active".

Then, use a dynamic group to "hold" each set of Contacts.  This way you are not hardcoding a Contact into one group - and if they change in the future, dynamic groups will automatically "move" the Contact from one Group to another.

You would now be able to use Groups as Lookups, or in Reports, or mail merges, etc...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Bronze Super Contributor

If you clearly define what you mean by Contacts older than 2009, you should be able to create a dynamic group based on that critieria, or conversely a group that contains "current" contacts.

As you likely know, ACT! automatically updates some system fields based upon your actions on contact records - when you clear activities or create histories for them when you call them or meet with them, etc.  If you are basing "old" on when was the last time you interacted with them, then these fields can be used in your dynamic group criteria.

Should you update an "old" contact for any reason, then depending upon how you create your group criteria, that contact would automatically come out of the "old" group...

Thanks for the responses.  I think I have a handle on my approach now.  You guys are good.

Bronze Super Contributor