Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems with moving Act to a different Computer from a network

Tuned Listener

Problems with moving Act to a different Computer from a network

About 18 months ago Act! stopped work on my desktop so I bought a notebook and installed it there. 

After fixing the desktop problem (by removing a bad Windows update) I was able to reinstall Act! on the desktop but the database was still residing on the notebook.  I seldom use the notebook and it had become in essence, a server that takes up desk space.

Today I moved the database back to the desktop.  Act! is still installed on both computers, but I only use one instance at any time and would like to be able to turn off the notebook most of the time.

All of the files that I could find are now on the desktop and the instance of Act! that is still on the notebook uses the desktop's files tjhrough a network.  I copied over the database and all of the other files, reports, templates, documents etc but the desktop still requires the notebook to be running in order for Act! to start up properly.

What do I need to do to fix this.  Is there another file that needs to be transferred or some procedure that needs to be followed?  Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tuned Listener

Re: Problems with moving Act to a different Computer from a network

For clarification, I am used Act! Pro 2013.
Tuned Listener

Sorry, USING. I'm tired, it took until 2 am.
Tuned Listener

More information. The documents attached to records are still being stored on the notebook even though they are gotten from the Documents file on the desktop. How do I change that?
Bronze Contributor

Several quetions come to mind:

1.  What type of licensing do you have and for how many users?

2.  Did you use the built-in backup program to move the db from the desktop to the laptop and then "restore as" when running it from the laptop?  How did you move the db to the laptop and back to the desktop? 

3.  Regarding finding the documents, it all depends on how they are listed in the documents tab.  Were they loaded as a file or as a shortcut?

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sepposam,

Thank you for submitting your post. When moving the database, you will have to backup the Database on the desktop and restore it on the laptop or vice versa.

Below I have included the Knowledgebase Article that will assist you with a backup and restore and how to share the database over the network:

How to back up and restore an Act! database http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19211

How to Share an Act! Database over a Network http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13878

Hope this helps,

Scott Baker
Visit the knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com
Tuned Listener

Answers.

1  I have a single user license for Sage Act! Pro.2013, which was an upgrade from Sage Act! Pro 2011 and I am the only user.  It is presently installed on both computers.

2.  I was unable to use to use the built in backup and restore functions because Windows 7 installed a faulty update (from 5 months earlier) which caused Act! to quit working on the desktop. 

It took almost a month to determine the source of the problem and in order to continue using Act! I bought a notebook and installed it there along with the databse.

3. The documents problem is really strange.  I have a home network and after I moved the database back from the notebook to the desktop I changed the database and location for documents in the Act Prefences to the Documents folder on the desktop. 

It works fine and points to the desktop folder when I want to store a new document. 

But when I attach a document to a record, even though I get the document from the desktop Documents folder, it stores the attachment in a network folder which is on the notebook. 

This folder was established in order to reinstall Act! on the desktop without moving the data.  I don't use the notebook much, so I wanted to move the datbase back to the desktop and be able to shut off the notebook.. 

If I uninstall and reinstall Act! on the desktop might that correct the problem?  Or if I uninstall Act! on the notebook will that work? 

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Tuned Listener

Thanks Scott, it was very helpful

I read the article on sharing and determined that the database server and supplemental files are still shown as residing on the notebook even though the database is now on the desktop.

I also read the article about creating a new database. 

If I create a new database on the desktop and then import the data from my existing database (which is presently shared through the laptop) will that put everything on the desktop? I it's shared can I then access it occasionally from the notebook?

Sam

Copper Super Contributor

Sam,

The best way to move the database from the laptop to the desktop would be to take a backup on the laptop and restore it on the computer of your choice. You would move the zip file (backup) from the laptop, put it onto a thumb drive, then place it on the desktop. If the database is shared, you will be able to access it on the Laptop. Just make sure to share the database and send the .PAD file over to the laptop once restored on the desktop.

This link will assist you in Backup and Restore of the database:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19211

Hope this helps,

Scott Baker
Visit the knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com
Tuned Listener

Hi Scott,

The present database is shared from the notebook, so that won't work.

What did work was to establish a new database on the desktop, import the data from the present database.and then manually copy over the database files (reports, attachments, etc) in order not to lose them.  I can now shut down the laptop and access the new database successfully.  Thanks!

I can also add attachments, either as a link or as a file even though the address assigned  references the notebook. 

However, the preexisting attachments don't show up.  I can manually reestablish them as needed, but is there a quicker way to bring all of them over?