Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems with Act2010 Trial install...

Tuned Listener

Problems with Act2010 Trial install...

Hi-

I used to use Act many years ago, but then switched to Outlook. Now I am looking for something more robust, so I was thinking of switching back to Act, so I took a look at the website and downloaded the 30-day trial.

I ran the setup, it got most of the way through, until it got to the step "starting the MSACT SQL Server" , then the install crashed and my PC hung. I tried to reboot, and now my PC crashes on startup (it finishes the boot sequence and shows me the login screen, but as soon as I log in, my desktop appears, but then the PC crashes while loading my startup items). I am actually posting this from another PC because I can't get back in to mine.

Is this a known issue?

What is the fix?

I am about to go back and reboot my machine in safe mode to try and reverse this, but what is the Act installer doing that would cause my PC to be unusable? Why is the Act trial even messing with anything to do with the startup sequence of my PC?

I have to say I am very disappointed that you guys would put out an installer that is capable of frying a PC. I remember Act as being a program that worked without these kinds of problems...

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Problems with Act2010 Trial install...

I had a similar problem with an early alpha version of ACT! 2010 because I didn't have all the service packs for XP Pro installed. I was able to revert to the last known good set point to restore my system. After I installed the service packs, The ACT! 2010 alpha installed fine. My understanding was that the problem was resolved before the beta program so I'm not sure you are seeing the same thing. For what it's worth, I've since installed ACT! 2010 on several systems without any problems.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Hi-

Thanks for the info.

My machine was current with Service Packs through Windows XP SP2, though, and I just downloaded the trial yesterday from the website.

According to the Act!2010 system requirements posted on the Act web site ( http://www.act.com/2010/system/act/ ) XP Professional SP2 should be sufficient to run the product...

Platinum Elite Contributor

As I noted the problem I encountered was specific to the early Alpha version of ACT! 2010 and not the present productions version (the ril is the full production version). I honestly don't know what csused your problem. My guess is there was some kinld of conflict or one of the install files became damaged during installation. There is an ACT! uninstaller utility available through the Knowledge Base. Search for Article ID 19338. The download is at the bottom of the article. If you are able to download that and run it it will remove virtually all traces of the ACT! program.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

All,

This issue has to do with Microsoft SQL Express build 4035 (which has service pack 3 applied) on XP with Service Pack 2. 

The ACT! 2010 Product uses SQL Express 2005 as the database server backend.  The reality here is that it is MS SQL actually causing the issue, not ACT!, the ACT! application is a victim as a result of being packaged with MS SQL Express.  MS SQL is a service, so that is why it appends to the startup parameters of the operating system.

To resolve the issue, you can either upgrade XP to Service Pack 3 (which is free and being pushed through Microsoft Update since July 2008) or you would need to contact Microsoft requesting:

KB 943232 and / or KB921337

if applying XP Service Pack 3 is not an option for you.

<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/943232>

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921337

thanks

Message Edited by MMcFadden on 10-01-2009 02:05 PM
Matthew McFadden
Tuned Listener

Hi-

While I appreciate your taking the time to respond to this issue (thanks), I have to say that I'm pretty upset that the correct system requirements were not posted on the website.

The website said that SP2 was required, when in fact SP3 is required.

Many organizations have delayed upgrading to SP3 because it has been known to cause problems ( here's a list: http://www.bing.com/search?q=xp+sp3+upgrade+problems&go=&form=QBRE&qs=n ) . That's why I haven't upgraded to it.

Nevertheless, if I'd known that SP3 was required I could have upgraded my machine before running the Act install. As it is now, my machine is currently bluescreening on startup and I haven't been able to revert back to the previous stable configuration.

Based upon the information you posted about the source of this problem, it appears that anyone who runs the Act2010 trial or full install will have problems due to software that you are bundling with your product - you owe it to your customers to revise the posted system requirements to reflect that SP3 is a requirement. As it is now, the information is misleading.

Nickel Elite Contributor

TrialUser555,

I am sorry you are upset and I understand.  XP Service Pack 3 is NOT required for ACT! 2010, it is indeed only XP Service Pack 2. 

Not everyone encounters this issue, but obviously enough folks have to force Microsoft to offer hotfix files for this which I linked to in my response.  Again, this is NOT a widespread issue.  This also explains why Microsoft is handling this on an As/Per basis, meaning you must request the hot fix files from them specifically.

The hotfixes they are offering are part of XP Service Pack 3, so the two resolutions for this issue, when encountered, is to either apply XP Service Pack 3, then install ACT!, or contact Microsoft to receive the hot fix file updates, then install ACT! 2010.

There is no way of knowing who may encounter this issue up front, it is handled by us on an As/Per basis as well.

thank you.

Matthew McFadden
Bronze Elite Contributor

Matt

I have experienced the same continuous reboot issue myself on installing on a new PC in our office and yes, I had neglected to run Windows Updates and was working with XP SP 2. Fortunately not a client's site. The problem occured directly after the reboot on installing .Net 2.0., I wouldn't be so sure that it isn't a common issue, you are probably are not hearing from the majority of people who load a trial of ACT! and strike problems. I have noticed that other ACT! Consultants have reported the problem also.

Not everybody who is installing ACT! is as IT capable as yourself or people commenting in these forums. ACT! is offered as a trial product and as such, by implication, suitable for the novice to install.  Reality has proven in prior versions and now in the current version,  that it is not necessarily the case. The exposure to potential problems is highest when a new version is in it's early days of release. It is quite irrelevant as to where the blame lies, the issue is that people have problems that can result in extensive time and cost to restore a production workstation to operating condition. If the objective of a trial is to sell software and there is portential for this sort of issue, not only are people not going to purchase ACT!, possibly had to spend money to get there PC back to normal working condition and are venting their frustration to all those around them. I suggest that even a few instances of this is very bad press for ACT! and Sage.

It is simply not satisfactory to lay the blame with Microsoft and carry on regardless when all that is required is to advise that SP2 is not supported.

TrialUser555 is correct, the responsibility is clear, Sage need to protect the customer/prospect from the situation and that seems to be easily achievable. 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Nickel Elite Contributor

Graeme,

What is your expectation here? 

Microsoft indicates that XP SP 2 is sufficient to host SQL Express 20005 which is what we publish.  This is based off the Microsoft minimum standards document.

Later they find there is a problem with there stuff and something special is needed to fix an item that no one else can distribute, nor are they willing to push via their Automatic Update routine.

Issue here is the fix isn't available widespread and you have to contact the manufacturer which isn't Sage.  In fact, Sage isn't even allow to carry the fix due to legal issues with Microsoft and their distribution methods.  What is your expectation here?

We know the issue exists, we are not allowed to carry the fix items, all we can do is recommended procedures to avoid this and document ASAP as completely as possible..

Sir, what else do you want?

Matthew McFadden
Bronze Elite Contributor

I would think that the first priority is to protect your customer/prospect from the probability of incurring problems which are initiated from their loading your software. They are not particularly interested in the finer details of the debate as to why, when they looking at a blue screen and the words "Fatal Error". All they know is that they loaded your software and now they can't use their PC.

What is my and I suspect others expectation?

That Sage warn people NOT to install on XP SP2 and that the system requirements are altered to reflect the reality, irrespective of what Microsoft might state. Sage is effectively condoning the installation on XP SP2 by virtue of the published system requirements whilst knowing that there is an issue directly attributable to installing on SP2.

How do you do it?

1. Change the system requirements and be proactive in doing so stating that SP 2 is not supported.

2. Have the software check the installed SP level and warn that SP 3 or better needs installing prior to installing ACT!

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog