Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems upgrading from v20 to v20.1

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Problems upgrading from v20 to v20.1

Downloaded and installed the latest update of ACT v20 Pro.  After installation, I start ACT and it wants to update the data base to the new version.  Pretty usual, so i say OK, and then get the following errors:

Backup error - screen shot attached, bur essentially, it looks like a scripting problem.

I carry on with the next prompt to update the database, but get another script error - screenshot attached.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jmdaly@southforkinst.com
‎04-09-2018 04:21 PM
Copper Contributor

Re: Problems upgrading from v20 to v20.1

Finally back on line, but man - that was painful.  Seems like the issue is that the database name had a spece in it - thanks Carl for that hint.

Here's what i did:

1) Totally uninstalled ACT! Pro, hacked the registry to take ou tall the settings the uninstall function leaves littered throughout it (how about improving the uninstall function?)

2) Delete the .pad file

3) remane the adf, alf and <databasename>-database files folder

4) reinstall ACT (v20.0 - I'm not the trusting type to go for v20.1 straight off the bat)

5) Convince it to open the database files (although it never did) and watch the pretty dots crossing the small dialog box for about 30 mins

4) Ope ACTdiag where the new name showed up - clicked on this to repair database and then closed ACT!  It failed on a server timeout but allowed me to do the super fix on the database.

5) Reopen the database in ACT and it worked!

Now I get to do another backup and a sync to the main DB before attempting to upgrade to v20.1 again.

Note to Swiftpage - how about constraining database names to be just one word with no spaces?  Don't let us stupid users assume two words or more is perfectly OK.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

You're right, something is throwing the backup script off.

Are there any unusual characters in the name of the database? I'm talking apostrophes ( ' ), ampersands ( & ), hash ( # ) etc.
Any unusual characters in the folder structure of where the database is stored?

You could try opening ActDiag (Start Menu > Run > "actdiag.exe") - then go to "Databases" > "Database Details "List". From here, see if any error messages pop up - try right clicking on your database and choosing backup database - see if this throws up any errors.

From here you can also run "Check Database" and "Repair Database" that might solve any internal data issues too.
Copper Contributor

Hi Jon,

Thanks for replying to my post.

The database name is "South Fork" - no odd characters or anything.  Likewise for the directory structure - it's the ACT default under User.... Documents.

I opened ActDiag and carried out the steps you suggested.  All I have is the ACT2018 demo database and South Fork.  No errors popped up.

Check Database worked OK

Backup fails with a syntax message - screenshot attached.

Repair database fails, but the extended repair that "could lose some data" seems to work and repair is completed.

But when I opened ACT, I still had the same issues as before.  This is one of two remote users and the database is synced.  We haven't updated the server DB or the other user yet and therefore we haven't tried any sync - we understand we need to update all of them before syncing...

I've uninstalled and reinstalled ACT but that didn't help.  I did notice that even after uninstall, the ACT listing in the installed apps list (WIN 10 settings) remains, but, of course, won't uninstall again.

I do notice that when the existing database opens (after all the error messages, the history fields are not visible and there is a large red cross through the field.

Thanks

Employee

There a space in the database name?
That might be an issue

Copper Contributor

Yes there is a space.  How do I rename the data base so it's just one word?

Employee

28485 How to rename an Act! Database

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28485/kw/rename%20database

MSFT SQL is not a fan of spaces and I have never tried changing the name once it had a space 

Solution
Accepted by topic author jmdaly@southforkinst.com
‎04-09-2018 04:21 PM
Copper Contributor

Finally back on line, but man - that was painful.  Seems like the issue is that the database name had a spece in it - thanks Carl for that hint.

Here's what i did:

1) Totally uninstalled ACT! Pro, hacked the registry to take ou tall the settings the uninstall function leaves littered throughout it (how about improving the uninstall function?)

2) Delete the .pad file

3) remane the adf, alf and <databasename>-database files folder

4) reinstall ACT (v20.0 - I'm not the trusting type to go for v20.1 straight off the bat)

5) Convince it to open the database files (although it never did) and watch the pretty dots crossing the small dialog box for about 30 mins

4) Ope ACTdiag where the new name showed up - clicked on this to repair database and then closed ACT!  It failed on a server timeout but allowed me to do the super fix on the database.

5) Reopen the database in ACT and it worked!

Now I get to do another backup and a sync to the main DB before attempting to upgrade to v20.1 again.

Note to Swiftpage - how about constraining database names to be just one word with no spaces?  Don't let us stupid users assume two words or more is perfectly OK.

Employee

When creating a new database the space button should not do anything when you click it.

Capture.JPG

Copper Contributor

This is a remote (synchronizing) database.  Here you can call it anything you want - apparently.

Having changed the name and got back on line, now I try to sync and of course, the main data base is expecting the old (one with the space) name.  How can I link and sync back to the main DB again?

Administrator

Hmm, as a remote database it does complicate things slightly.

I'm guessing you created this remote from a web browser - as I know it's sometimes possible to create a remote with a space in the name on the web version.

Do you use Act! Premium hosted in the Cloud (hosted by us)? Or is it hosted by yourselves on a server?

If it's hosted by us - our cloud team will be able to update the 'sync name' on the server. However, if it's hosted yourself - it's likely going to be easier to just create a NEW remote database, then import the data from one to the other.