Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems setting up a group search criteria by cell or office phone

Accepted Solution Solved
Mo
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Problems setting up a group search criteria by cell or office phone

I have tried several ways to create a search criteria that filters out certain contacts. Here's what I mean: I have created prospect groups based on urgency to buy. The 1 group is naturally where I begin my calls. The challenge is that some have provided only email addresses, while others either cell or office phone. Rather than manually selecting and omitting prospects without phone numbers, I have tried to create a search criteria by selecting the following: 1 as the timing AND cell OR office as the telephone number. The problem is that when I do that the timing field is ignored and hundreds of records show up including 2 and 3 gategory prospects. Any suggestions?  TIA

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mo
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Mo
Copper Contributor

Re: Problems setting up a group search criteria by cell or office phone

Brilliant Greig! 

All that was missing were the open and closed parentheses that I had never noticed before nor knew how they were used. I learned something new!  Wow, now I can delete the two subcategory dynamic searches I created as a work around: Prospects with only cell phone number listed or prospects with office phone only, in the three timing/urgency groups (1,2,3) I created.  Very much appreciated!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

What exactly is the criteria you are using for the membership?  Just so I understand, are you trying to set up criteria for dynamic group membership or just trying to do an advanced query? Also, when you constructing, you want to make sure the operators are grouped correctly.  If you look at the columns in the advanced query screen, you will see one for an open parentheses and for a closed parentheses.  These are to make sure the operations for the query are performed in the right order. Here is how you would do it:

- For the "timing" field you would use the And operator

- For the "cell" field you would use the Or operator, plus the single, open parentheses at the beginning

- For the "office" field you would use the single, closed parentheses

This tells the search engine to first meet the "timing" criteria, THEN meet the criteria of "cell" or "office", so that the "timing" criteria will hold true for both the "cell" and "office" conditions.  In the order of operations, a parentheses takes precedence over and/or operators.

Hope this makes sense....please respond to this post if you have any questions.

Message Edited by ghollister on 01-27-2009 12:39 PM

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Solution
Accepted by topic author Mo
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Mo
Copper Contributor

Brilliant Greig! 

All that was missing were the open and closed parentheses that I had never noticed before nor knew how they were used. I learned something new!  Wow, now I can delete the two subcategory dynamic searches I created as a work around: Prospects with only cell phone number listed or prospects with office phone only, in the three timing/urgency groups (1,2,3) I created.  Very much appreciated!