Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems restoring a DB on a file server

Problems restoring a DB on a file server

I am running ACT 2010 on a Windows server and four PCs running Windows 7 all on ACT 2010. ACT 2010 does not allow restoring the DB to a mapped drive. I am guessing the only way to make this work is to restore the file on a local folder and then move the DB to the mapped drive. I know how to set the rights for file access, but I am unsure of what I need to do to move an ACT database to another folder. Can some one point me to directions to do this on a server? What files need to move and how are the folders to be set up, and will the same .pad file work for each PC user accessing the DB?

Administrator

Re: Problems restoring a DB on a file server

[ Edited ]

Where is the mapped drive where you want the databased to be restored to? Is this on a PC which has Act! and SQL installed?
Act! has a requirement for the database has to be stored on a PC with SQL installed.

ACT has always run on the server and shared by all the users (4 users/5 licenses). However, I cannot get the restore to work on the shared portion of the drive. I can create the restore in the MyDocuments folder of the Admin user on the server, but it won't restore to a mapped drive. So.....i figured I could restore it locally and then copy to the mapped drive for sharing. Just need to know how and what files & folders to move. After that I should be able to set the DB to sharable and open up the access rights to EVERYONE, correct?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Do you have ACT! installed on the shared portion of the drive? Are you running as the administrator?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Originally the DB was running on a shared drive (I"m calling it mappped). Unfortunately, Swiiftpage sent me Premium version of the software when we were trying to reinstall one PC wiith a corrupted executeable. The Premium version of that desktop automatically updated the database to Premium now only none user can get to that file. I have since demoted that desktop back to standard level, but I can't reuse the same name, so I am forced to restore the DB with another name. (Apparently Microsoft SQL won't work wiith two DBs with the same name- which is logical, but it doesn't help me.) I have tried to delete the database,but the sytem won't let me...tells me that it is open....I assume that is SQL issue.  Thus I have tried to RESTORE AS and change the name, but I can't get the software to restore on a shared drive. And that is where I am, any suggestions or alternatives?

Employee

There's some advice below regarding the manual move of a database.

Please make sure you have an up to date backup prior to any move or attempts at deleting/detaching in case of any problem.

For moving the database manually instead of restoring it through the normal method, you would want to copy three files/folders to retain your data.

"database name".ADF

"database name".ALF

"database name" database files folder

These should usually all be found in the same location.

If you copy/paste these to a new location and rename them all identically to whatever database name you wish, then with Act! closed open the renamed .ADF file, this should attach the database to SQL followed by a short verification process from the Act! application.

If you have any queries about this or concerned about data or ongoing issues, don't hesitate to respond to this or get in touch with our Technical Support. You can access this via Email on software.support@swiftpage.com and phone on 866-873-2006

When you say open the database with ACT! closed, do you mean just clicking on the file and having the OS find the application file that runs it or do I launch ACT! and then open the new database from the ACT! shell?

Employee

To be honest, you can do either.

I tend to close the application completely then open directly via the database ADF file.

You can of course use the File > Open/Share Database menu option within Act!, then select 'The Database I want is not listed' then change the filetype (On the bottom right of the window) to look for .ADF files then locate the copied ADF and open.

The process of copying halts with the error :  The action cannot be completed becasue the file is open in SQL Server (ACT7).  I've run into this a couple of times when just trying various ways to get the files moved to the mapped drive.  How do I get around this problem?

Platinum Elite Contributor

ACT! doesn't open the database, the SQL server opens the database at boot time. You need to temporarily stop the SQL server.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129