Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems restoring a DB on a file server

Re: Problems restoring a DB on a file server

Am I stopping it on the server or on the desktop where the DB is currently located?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Where the database is located.

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
Employee

Yes, stop your SQL ACT7 instance in services.msc on the machine that is currently hosting your database, and then copy the files that we mentioned earlier.

Let me know how you get on.

I have been able to move the files, however it will not let me run the program. All my users have been running on the server with rights access to the server so I shouldn't have to configure my firewall as the error message suggests, should I? Is there something I should do or check to ensure I can run this on the server? 

Just so you know, I have tried running the pad file and directly accessing the alf file. Both times the program asks for the User Name and Password. I never set up a password and the user name has not changed. After entering the User name, it says the file is not accessible, check network connection....it may be necessary to disable any firewall software on the PC or the server.   FYI

Re: Problems restoring a DB on a file server- SOLVED!!

Thanks to all of you. I was able to access the database from the server. Then I selected SHARE the database....from that point on, everyone was able to access the database.  This has been quite painful, but I am happy to see there is support for the older versions of ACT! I will let others know you guys exist as there are many counterparts to my company that are using older versions of ACT! Again my thanks for your quick responses. NOTE TO ALL - don't ever re-install a user with a different version of ACT!  - it will update your database and block you from removing the upgrade. Had to fall back to my backup and perform a re-install on my server. It has taken me over a week to get my ACT back. 

Employee

Glad to hear you're up and running Mark despite the troubles you've had.