Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems opening Act

Copper Contributor

Problems opening Act

[ Edited ]

I have Act version 11 running on a windows vista based computer with 3 gig of ram. This morning when I tried to load Act I got an error message saying my database could not be accessed and that I needed to make sure I had a connection to my database server. I don't have a network server, this is on a standalone computer and the program and database are on the hard drive. What can I do?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Problems opening Act

Hello Scott,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. The most common cause for this on a local database is that the SQL Server is not started, possibly due to a Windows update. Follow these steps:

- Close ACT!

- Click your Window Start button, and in the Search box on the bottom of the Start menu, type services.msc

- When the services window open, scroll down and locate SQL Server (ACT7).

- Right-click on this service and select Start

- Re-open ACT! and see if you can access the database

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Greig

when I do that I get error 3417 " windows could not start SQL server on the local computer". any ideas?

The first thing I would try is turning of User Account Control (UAC) in Vista. You can do this by going to the Control Panel, then User Accounts, then choosing option to turn User Account Control on/off. This will require a reboot.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

that didn't work I got the same error message when I tried to start the SQL server after the reboot. any more ideas?

Then the issue may the login for the SQL service or the service may be damaged. To try and resolve if it is a login issue:

- Open the services windows and go to SQL Server (ACT7)

- Right-click on the service and select Properties

- In the Properties window, go to the Log On tab\

- Choose the This account option, then type in your Windows login name and password.

- Click Apply to save.

- Go to General tab and click Start to test

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

I don't use a login for the computer

You would use the same login information as you do when you start up the computer...you have to be logged into Windows under a user account. If you click your Start button, you should see the current username at the top of the Start menu. You can verify whether this is an Admin account by clicking Start, then Run and typing control userpasswords2. If you get a user accounts window, then find your login name and make sure the Group is Adminstrators.

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am logged on as the administrator but there is no password needed when you start the computer. I tried the above but it wants a password. I checked the account and it says I can create one there is none shown .

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

what about a uninstall and reinstall, will that work? Also is there a way to save the database I have now?