Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems moving a remote database to a new laptop

Problems moving a remote database to a new laptop

Hope someone can help,

I have a remote database of Act 2012 Pro on my laptop, I have just got a new laptop and need to get my database onto my new machine. My current machine is XP and my new one is Windows 8 if that helps, I am an Act administrator also.

1. I installed Act 2012 from disk to my new machine - No problems

2. I followed 'answer id -19817' and looks like i have done that successfully moving the required files to my new laptop

Problems:

3. When I open Act on my new laptop its asking for a serial number and when I try to put my existing one in it says invalid.

4. When I try to open the database that i moved it asks me for my login details, when i enter them it says ' The database is an act premium 2010 database and can only be opened with a matching act premium 2010 product;

What on earth have I done wrong?

Thanks

David

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Problems moving a remote database to a new laptop

Hello David,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

It definitely sounds like you have Pro on one computer and Premium on the other.  To verify: open the program on each machine, click Help, select About ACT!.  Note the versions and builds.

If you will provide me with your serial number through a Private Message, I will be able to determine which product it is designed for and provide a link to download the appropriate installation file.  (Click on my Community name, click 'Send this user a private message')

From your description, I assume you will need the Premium link.

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg, 

you are correct, we originally had pro and upgraded to premium, I can't locate the diat however.

i was talking to someone who suggested it may be easier to create a new remote database than to move mine? Maybe you could advise. 

Ill pm you the serial number.

many thanks!

david 

Platinum Super Contributor

David,
The serial number is 2012 Premium, please see your private messages for link to download. You'll need to uninstall Pro, reboot, then install Premium.

Moving a remote or creating a new one... it is usually easier to create a new one than move the original, but it's more of a personal preference. There is nothing wrong with moving one as long as you get the main database updated to expect the new location. You referenced the correct article in the original post.

I just noticed you mentioned Windows 8 for the new computer. Just FYI - ACT! 2012 is not considered 'compatible' with Windows 8. Many Community members report installing/using it without any issue, but I wanted to make sure you were aware. Additionally, ACT! 2012 is not compatible with Office 2013.
Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks very much for your help on this, im going to try and get this all done on Friday.

Regards,

David