Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems mapping large numbers of ACT! fields in to Microsoft Excel

Problems mapping large numbers of ACT! fields in to Microsoft Excel

Hi

I'm hoping someone can help me.

I have bought ACT! 2012 Premium and have set up my database, with many user defined additional fields.  I am now trying to map the fields into a large Excel spreadsheet and, to begin with, was getting on fine.  I know how to map the fields OK, and how to attach a spreadsheet to a contact so that the data comes through from ACT! into the spreadsheet.  In fact, I have got that part of it working fine.

However, after mapping (coincidentally?) around 256 fields to my Excel spreadsheet, only some of the data now comes through sucessfully, with the remaining mapped cells just showing the field placeholder (e.g. <Contact>) instead of the actual data from the database.

Is there a maximum number of ACT! fields that can be mapped into an Excel spreadsheet?  Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I have searched all over the internet for a solution and can find no mention of any limitations regarding ACT! to Excel field mapping.  I would be very grateful for some help on this.

Simon Pates

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Problems mapping large numbers of ACT! fields in to Microsoft Excel

[ Edited ]

Hello Simon,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. I have not seen a field mapping limit wuth regards to ACT!, but if you are using Excel 2003 and putting each mapped field as a column, then that version of Excel has a 256 column limit.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hi Greig

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly.

I am using Excel in Office 2010, so it can't be that.  Could it be an OLE issue perhaps?  There is definitely something going wrong after I have mapped 255 fields.

Various websites mention a 255 field limit in an Access table and I'm wondering if the same applies to an Excel workbook, seeing as they are almost one and the same.

Simon

Platinum Elite Contributor

Think I read that Excel 2007 & 2010 have around 16,000 columns and 10 million rows. We are not aware of a limit within ACT!, so will have to test this out. I agree this may be a limitation pertaining to the amount of data (either number of columns or max characters per cell) that Excel can import in from an external source.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks, Greig

I would be very interested to hear what you discover.