Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems importing Data into Dropdown Lists.

Problems importing Data into Dropdown Lists.

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

I'm currently running ACT! by Sage 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.0.237, Hotfix 1 English (United Kingdom) and am trying to import a list of data into a list to limit options within a particluar field.  I'm creating the list before I create the field so there is no predefined format for the field (ie. Char, Num, Date etc).  The list itself is set as a character list, yet when I perform the import I get an error message that says something along the lines of "Import Failed.  Number Fields can only accept Numerical Data.  Please check source and try again." 

Now all the data that I'm trying to import is simple text (in fact it's the UK SIC code definitions ie. "01 - Manufacturing - Heavy Goods" etc etc) so I can't see how there can be a problem as the field is not set to Numeric.  I've tried importing the file as both a .CSV and a delmited text file and got the same error in both circumstances.

Interestingly after closing the dialog box with the error message in it the program has imported the first couple of lines and you can get it to import other lines of random text by adding them within " " but it will not import the full file.

Please help !!!

Many Thanks,

Rich.

Message Edited by DaddyRich on 12-02-2008 04:17 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Problems importing Data into Dropdown Lists.

Try de-associating the dropdown you are trying to import into from any fields and then importing in the list.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hi Greig,

The dropdown isn't associated to a field yet - I was creating the lists before I create the field to put them in - is that the right thing to do ????

Many Thanks,

Rich.

Copper Elite Contributor

Rich,

Yes it is fine to create the dropdown first before creating the field. 

As always back up your source data first to be safe. 

There is a trick that gets a little long but is not difficult.  If you have Excel, just about any version should work for this.  Open the data file and read it into Excel, then do a save-as to CSV format.  Next I will assume that you have one column of data populated in column A.  Go to B1 and enter this formula: =concatenate("#",A1,"#").  Next, drag the lower right corner of the cell downward to the last cell in the list.  The formulas will replicate and encase the data values in pound signs/crosshatches.  Click on the heading for column B to select the entire column, then either type Control-C or Edit-Copy.  Then with the same column remaining selected click edit-paste special then select the "values" options specifying what to paste.  This will replace the formulas with data values.  Save the file and exit excel.  Open the same file with Notepad and do an edit replace.  Replace all the Pound signs/crosshatches with double quotes ". 

For example the Replace dialog box would look like this:  Replace:  # with " then save the file.  Use this file to create the dropdown for import.  Excel outputs CSV files without double quotes around string values which is why this work around is needed.  There is probably a quicker/easier way but old habits die hard.  I Hope this helps.   

Copper Contributor

Bailed me out, thanks!!!