Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems exporting to Excel (Tab Separated) from ACT2009

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Problems exporting to Excel (Tab Separated) from ACT2009

I'm trying to export from ACT to Excel, and then to iContact.  I'm using ACT 2009, and the only options for Export format are ACT database and Tab Separated.

The problem I'm getting is that the file doesn't import cleanly to Excel.  I don't know who's at fault, but some of the address fields with commas in turn into a second line.  Sometimes the fields with commas work OK, sometimes they fail.  The workaround is to remove the address fields from the Map. That will work for now, but once I need to do more with the data I'll be stuck.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author 5circles
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Problems exporting to Excel (Tab Separated) from ACT2009

All Replies

Copper Contributor

Export to a csv instead.

That seemed counterintuitive to me (since commas were causing the problem how could they work better as the delimiter), but I tried it.  The results were exactly the same - about 65 additional lines where the import to Excel saw a problem.  The way it shows up in Excel is with a double quote character at the end of the address field data for the records that create an extra line.   It looks like the orginal ACT data is the problem, but I can't see exactly how.  The bad records have commas in the data in the address field, but that isn't it.   Many records have commas in the data and import to Excel just fine.

It looks like I'll have to clean up each record manually, unless anyone has better ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Solution
Accepted by topic author 5circles
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Copper Contributor

Why not use the Contact List and Export to Excel?

I guess because I hadn't read enough of your presentatation Smiley Happy .  I didn't think to look anywhere else but in the File menu.

This export looks very clean, and also seems to be doing an SQL connection (at least that's the impression from the Refresh).  I wish there was a way to use something similar for import.

Thanks!!

Mike