Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems deleting contacts

Problems deleting contacts

When I filter a single contact and try to delete it, my act 2010 gets stuck in a loop stating ERROR "value can not be null". At that point I am have to go through task manager and force the software to close. Once I restart act, the contact will be gone. I spoke to the helpdesk a few weeks ago, but they were not help. This is a real pain when trying to update my database. Does anybody know what is going on and how to fix the problem. I believe the error is related to the contact field
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Problems deleting contacts

Hello,

This issue was known to happen if automatic Duplicate Checking was enabled, and accordng to the notes from the support call you made, the technician was able to resolve the issue by following the steps in KB Article 24725.

If this is not the case, then the cause could be a field that is marked as required but has no data in it. Go to Tools/Define Fields and double-click each field one at a time. On the properties for the field, see if the "Allow blank" box is checked. If not, then the field is required. If you do not want the field to be required, then place a check in the "Allow blank" box and click Finish. When working with a contact, make sure all required fields have data in them.

You can also run maintenance on your database to address possible data integrity issues, by going to Tools/Database Maintenance/Check and Repair

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Greig,

You are correct, the technician was able to help me fix the problem while I spoke with him on the phone. Unfortunately the problem came back only a few days later.

- The first thing I did was check the fields for "allow blank", all were checked.

- I am running the maintenance tool as I type this response, but this is something I have been doing preventively from time to time anyway.

- I have unchecked the duplicate checking feature, but like to have this feature turned on, especially as the number of contacts in my database grow and I import data supplied by my telemarketing company..

I fixed the problem by creating a field to identify contacts that need to be deleted. This allows me to sort them and delete them in one go only requiring me to restart ACT once..

I am still a very happy user of ACT, and love the 2010 updates. Getting this version was money well spend. Regardless I hope that SAGE takes the concerns of a loyal ACT user to heart and that you will fix/patch the crashing problem (especially if it is a known problem), so I can leave my duplicate checking on while deleting contacts without having to restart my ACT.

Platinum Elite Contributor

I'm glad that you were able to find a workaround, but I would like to take this a little further if it's ok. If you open the demo database (ACT2010Demo), are you able to duplicate the issue in there? I tested this on my own system and was not able to duplicate the issue in 2010. I would like to see if this error is database specific. Also, make sure you have applied the latest update to 2010, which is Hot Fix 3. The hot fix can be found in KB Article 25495

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I will have a go at it. I don't think I installed any hotfixes. I have been running the auto update, but it tells me I am up-to-date, so I have not taken any further action. I will let you know if I can duplicate the problem in the demo database.
Copper Contributor

I have the same issue. We upgraded to 10 from 9 and it seems that upgrading the database to the new version is what caused the issue. We do have hotfix 3 installed. I have gone through all the fields and set them to "allow blank" and it seems to be "working" now.

My question is when can I set my fields back to not allowing blank? These fields were setup that way for a reason and when its disabled, key information may not get recorded.