Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems after csv import

Problems after csv import

I am using Act v16 on a windows 7 computer. I also have the Act4Advisor overlay installed.

I recently purchased and downloaded a list of corporations using the csv format. Upon the advice of Act Support, I imported these records into the Contact section of Act. All went well during the import.

The problem I have is very little of the record information imported into the Contact section has been copied to the Company section. Act support told me that would have to be done manually. OMG. No problem with just a few records, but with thousands, this becomes a daunting task.

In short I need to populate the Company fields using data already in the Contact fields, and to be able to do this automatically.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

wingcheck

Re: Problems after csv import

Since you're in v16, you shouldn't have to go through and manually create these company links. There's a setting in preferences that you can configure that will create companies and link contacts to them based off of a number of contacts that have the same company name. For example, if two or more contacts have a company field that reads "Xyz corp", a company will be created and those two contacts will be linked to that company. 2 is just an example, and it can also be configured to create a company for every contact. By default this feature is turned off. You can turn it on and it will create these companies for contacts that have already been imported into your database.

I would recommend creating a backup of your database before setting the preferences, but for more information on company management, refer to the following article:

What is the company management function in Act! v16?
Answer ID 36117

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com

Re: Problems after csv import

Thank you Elise .... I will delve into this upon my return. I will keep you posted as to my success.

Paul