Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems accessing database over VPN

Problems accessing database over VPN

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am trying to set up ACT over a network. I have a PC running Windows Server 2008 that I want to host the database (ACT is installed on this computer), and I have two Windows 7 laptops, which also have ACT installed, that I want to dial into the server through a VPN connection. I have mapped a connection from the laptops to the databases folder on the server, and I have copied the PAD files from this folder through to the desktops of the two laptops.  However, when I try to open these databases, it won't work.

I tried putting a Word document in the Databases folder and the laptops can access and edit this fine, so it's not a connection or sharing issue. I've also ensured that the databases on the server are shared.

Am I going about this wrongly? I read something about having to synchronise databases? Can someone walk me through this please. I'm not an IT professional, so please go easy on the jargon!

Many thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Problems accessing database over VPN

2 issues with VPN:
1. The WINS machine name is often not propagated on VPN, so you may need to use the IP address in the PAD file
2. VPN has an overhead that can make it to slow for real use.

Yes, sync is the best option - with the remote users having a local copy and only using the VPN to send the updates. See:
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/11/supporting-remote-users-with-act-by.html

Thanks Mike. It certainly sounds like sync is the way to go. The question is: will I continue to experience the same problems if I sync the database instead?

It will just be a matter of correctly setting the port forwarding or sync'ing to the IP address via the VPN

Hi Mike,

The VPN connection works fine. I can view the database folder from the remote PCs.  What exactly do you mean by setting the port forwarding?

Thanks,

Russell

You don't need port forwarding if on the VPN

Have a look at the VPN info in this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13878

But, as I said, I'd usually recommend sync for better performance