Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems accessing database - 'not properly configured' and 'database cannot be found'

Problems accessing database - 'not properly configured' and 'database cannot be found'

[ Edited ]

So now I have a rather more urgent follow-up question. I went ahead and created the database and my computer seems terribly unimpressed by it.

First, in my lower right hand systems tray, not much turns up that used to, such as Norton's icon and the icon for my wireless service.

But that's minor, unless it gives a clue. More significantly, it takes forever to boot up. When I call up ACT!, I get a long delay followed by this message:

"The ACT! address book service is not properly configured, or the configured database is locked. Do you want to configure it now?"

So I thought, what the heck, let's try it.

Then I get this message:

"ACT! database cannot be found."

So I closed ACT and called up Outlook. It gave me the same message about ACT.

I'm using ACT 11. I use Outlook 2003.

Don't know if this is related, but Outlook tells me that my Word E-mail editor doesn't match Outlook so I can't use it to compose E-mail. Does that mean I need to do an uninstall and reinstall of either Word, Outlook, or both?

Any suggestions on either of these problems would make my life a lot easier.

Thanks,

ajk

Message Edited by gmartin on 04-21-2010 08:52 AM

[ Edited ]

Just signed up and you were the only message that used "Not for Profit" in your question.   Hmm..

I suggest upgrading to the latest version of ACT (2010) as it is supposed to work with much better with MS Outlook.  (I am using Outlook 2007) .

Also, Norton is a real pain in the .....   I got rid of that years ago and now us AVG which is much less invasive.  www.avg.com

BtW: Are you still using ACT!   Does it work for you as a Not for Profit?   Would you recommend it?

Thanks

Free 

Message Edited by gmartin on 04-21-2010 08:53 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Problems accessing database - 'not properly configured' and 'database cannot be found'

The comment about the missing startup items may be a clue.  For accessing the Act! database, you'll want to check the 'Services' screen and make sure that 'SQL Server (Act7)' is in Started status.  To do this:

- click on the Windows Start button

- XP > click on Run > enter the command 'Services.msc' in the command box and hit enter

- Vista/Win7 > enter the command 'Services.msc' in the Search field and hit enter

On the Services screen:

- scroll down to 'SQL Server (Act7)' and check the Status column

- if it does not have 'Started', right click on the service and select Start

Once started, attempt to access your database again.

You may need to check your Event Viewer for errors associated with your Reboot/Startup.

Greg Martin
Sage

Re: Problems accessing database - 'not properly configured' and 'database cannot be found'

After several months of perfect integration, I have this same error message, though none of the other symptoms.  Both programs work fine except the e-mails I send in Outlook 2007 are not automatically recorded in the corresponding ACT! 2010 history, which had been happening.  The error message I receive every time I open Outlook is: "The ACT! Address Book service is not properly configured, or the configured database CaringTransitions.pad is locked.  Do you want to configure it now?" 

I just realized that the database I use is called "mailing list". Outlook is linked to the file "mailing list", and it is checked as default.  Yet, I get this error message and e-mails are not being recorded to the history.  Outlook will populate e-mail information, though only for ACT! contacts I have previously sent e-mails to using Outlook--it will not read the database for contacts added since this problem started.

I have reconfigured Outlook and ACT! preferences several times, but nothing helps.  I looked into what being "locked" means, and the database is not locked.  At one point I saw a post on here saying something about a 32 vs. 64 bit system.  I know that I had to upgrade my version of ACT! because the 2008 version used a different bit than my new laptop but, as you can see, I really have no idea what that means.  The post I saw said that Microsoft Office needed to be uninstalled and reinstalled with the correct bit selected, that for the 2007 version there is a choice.  Is this what I need to do?  If so, what is the correct bit to make it work?

I appreciate your help!

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Caring Transitions,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

Since the Outlook message specifically points to the database 'Caring Transitions', you want to remove it from the Outlook address book.  Then close and reopen Outlook to see if the 'Address book not properly configured' message continues.

Can you open and work in the 'Caring Transitions' database?

You can check the database to see if it has a 'Lock' by using the Actdiag utility.  To do this:

- click on Windows Start button

-  XP > choose 'Run'.  Vista/Win7 > use 'Search' field

- enter command 'actdiag' > hit enter

- on Actdiag screen > select 'Databases' in left column > select 'Database List'

- list will be presented on right hand side > locate 'Caring Transitions' and look in column 'Lock'

- if it is listed as 'Locked' > left click in gray box to left of database name (to highlight the line)

- right click on database name > select 'Unlock Database' (it will be grayed out if the database is not locked)

Greg Martin
Sage

I went round and round with this problem and Tech Support wasted 1 hour on the phone and remote support. I uninstalled and reinstalled.

ACT 2011 and MS Office installed on Win 7 64bit client on local network. Act database is on \\server\ACT Data\actdata.pad

Solution is

Control Panel

Windows Firewall

Turn off for Home or work networks.

Everything worked perfect after that change.

I hope it works for you.

I had the same problem. I clicked "yes" in the error message pop-up, which gave me a list of my databases that were connected to Outlook. I clicked the one that was the problem, then clicked the Edit button. It had put a bunch of asterisks for the password (I don't use a password to log on). I deleted the asterisks so there was nothing in the password box, saved, closed. It then told me I need to close and reopen Outlook for this to take effect. I did that, and voila! it worked! I use Outlook 2003 with ACT! 2009 on W7. It had been working just fine for many months so I don't know what made it stop working.

This solved my problem for now but I ACT seems to go dormant (frozen) after several hours of inactivity - won't respond to shut down or lookup. Have to manually shut it down thru' task manager. Only after the computer is completely shut down and rebooted can I restart ACT - and it usually doesn't give me problems if it is the first thing I open on my computer (ie before internet servers) This seems rather odd. I've been working with ACT for years and it always is temperamental. What's going on?