Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems Installing ACT 2010

Problems Installing ACT 2010

I've installed ACT 2010 successfully on 2 computers in our office, and have installed and uninstalled the same program several times on my computer.  Every time it's just about finished with the install, I get an error message saying "there's been a problem with the email converter", I click the message closed, it says the install is finished, but then if I try to launch the program it says ACT by Sage has encountered a problem and needs to close.  I'm using Windows XP 2002 Service Pack 3.  Can someone help me out?  Thanks!!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Problems Installing ACT 2010

Hello Swgeo,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Was there a previous version of ACT! installed on the problem computer?

If yes, was it set up to use email? If it was not set up to use email, uninstall the older version and then attempt a re-install.

Other troubleshooting:
- Check the Event Viewer for errors
- Disable anti-virus software, then attempt to launch
- Is the error occurring before entering a username to open the database?
Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks for the reply.  I believe I had a trial version but I uninstalled it before attempting to install the new program.  I can't get it to launch at all.  As soon as I click on the icon, the error message comes up saying ACT has encountered a problem and needs to close. 

Try right clicking on the ACT! icon > select Properties; click the Compatibility tab. Is the 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' option enabled? If yes, disable/uncheck it. Click Ok and attempt to launch ACT! again.

Seeing that you are using Windows XP - be sure to check the Windows Event Viewer for errors. It may be a corrupted Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installation.

Greg Martin
Sage

The run in compatability box was not checked.  I did not find any errors.  I then uninstalled using the uninstaller 2011, manually uninstalled SQL server 2005, then tried to reinstall.  This time when the SQL server installation was almost complete, I got the message that it did not install properly, to read through the installation instructions and retry? I retried the install, then got the same message about the email converter encountering a problem.  All anit-virus software was disabled? I have no idea where to go from here?

You'll need to concentrate on the SQL install issue first. 

Use these steps to reinstall SQL 2005:

- Uninstall ACT! and then SQL 2005

- Browse to C:\Program Files > rename the Microsoft SQL Server folder (ex: add '- old' to the name)

-Reboot

- Use the following article to manually install Microsoft SQL Server 2005: KB Article 19386

If SQL 2005 installs without errors and the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service is present and started, install ACT!.

If there were errors during the install of SQL, what were they?   Check the Windows Event Viewer for additional information.

Greg Martin
Sage