Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems Importing Outlook Contacts - ACT 2009

Copper Contributor

Problems Importing Outlook Contacts - ACT 2009

I'm running into a number of problems when importing Contacts from Outlook.

1.  If I specify 'Confirm Each Match', I can't cancel the import.  The cancel button is visible if I move the window with the contact informatiion presented to Skip, Continue, etc, but I can't click cancel, and as soon as I click Continue or Skip the window covers up the Cancel button.  THe only way I was able to stop the import was by using the Task Manager to terminate the application.

2.  I can't specify a different Outlook contact list, but have to use the default.  I'd done some work previously with a copy of the contact list that was ready to import, but it isn't any use to me.

3.  I can't use a field in the Outlook contacts to select import or not.  

The clunky way around these issues is to create a new ACT database, import all the Outlook contacts to it, eliminate all the ones I don't want, go back to the main database, and import from there.  Or to use a different type of file to import - but doing the clean up outside ACT.  I suppose I could use the Create Date field to do some manipulation on newly imported contacts, but that looks like it would be difficult because of the merge settings.

Thanks

Mike 

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Problems Importing Outlook Contacts - ACT 2009

5circles,

Have you considered Exporting your contact information from Outlook as a *.txt file and then importing?  It may be faster, and you will have control over what files are exported and imported.

MrWright