Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with reinstalling ACT!10 and SQL server

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Problem with reinstalling ACT!10 and SQL server

I read the latest postings regarding this issue. I followed all of ACT's instructions to remove & reinstall SQL server 2005 & ACT!10. I seem to have 2 problems:

[1]When installing SQL & using ACT7 as the Named instance in the "Instance Named" part of the install I get a message:

"An instance with the same name is already on the computer. To proceed with SQL server setup,provide a unique instance name."

I think that this is computer talk to say it recognizes ACT7 as already used. I tried deleting SQL,ACT!. all SQL registry etc.& trying again,no luck.

Can I use ACT 8,9 ,etc. or something else?

How to get rid of or overcome this message?

[2] I used a specific "sa" number when installing SQL but I cannot get that number recognized in the cmd portion of the "run securitycmdlnapp.ex potion of the install.

HELP!!!!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Larry Spivack
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Problem with reinstalling ACT!10 and SQL server

I found the correct zip back up file ,but had to rename the database ,which was OK, in order to restore the zip file correctly.

Now all is well in Portland. Thank you for all your help.

Regards,

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

The error you are getting regarding the ACT7 instance is due some leftover entries in your registry. Follow these steps to clean up SQL:

1) From your Control Panel, uninstall the following (if present)

- ACT!

- MSXML 6.0 Parser

- Any program starting with Microsoft SQL Server

2) In Windows Explorer, delete the Microsoft SQL Server folder from the C:\Program Files directory

3) In your Windows Registry (Start/Run...type regedit), delete the following keys indicated in bold (if present). Be sure to back up your registry first by going to File/Export in the registry editor...choose the All Keys option at the bottom of the backup dialog screen:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Redist

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSXML60

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQLServer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\MSSQL$ACT7

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\MSSQLServerADHelper

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SQLBrowser

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SQLWriter

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\MSSQL$ACT7

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\MSSQLSERVER/MSDE

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\MSSQLServerADHelper

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\SQLBrowser

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\SQLCTR$ACT7

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\SQLDumper

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\SQLNCLI

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\SQLVDI

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\SQLWEP

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\SQLWriter 

*Repeat the above steps under ControlSet002, ControlSet003, and CurrentControlSet (if present)

4) If you are using Windows Vista, disable User Account Control (UAC) per the instructions in KB Article 20220

5) Reboot your machine

6) When you log back in, disable any firewall and antivirus. If using Windows Vista, do not disable the Windows Firewall.

7) Using your ACT! CD or dowload, reinstall ACT!. This install will install both ACT! and SQL. You do not need to do a manual install of the ACT7 instance.

Please post your results.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

I tried,thanks,but  I still receive the error message of another instance of ACT7.

There appears to be some loose connections still there after attempting to delete all of them.

I also used JV16 & Registry First Aid to remove all the unneeded registry entries, still no luck.

Still need HELP.

Regards

Copper Contributor

Good news & bad news.

First the good; I was able to reinstall ACT! version 10 & update it successfully.Thank you for the detailed instructions. I was having a problem with the SQL sever 2005 updates & think that this was finally resolved.

It took a large amount if time & effort,but I succeeded.

Now the bad news; there is  a specific database I need, cannot find it to restore it. I backed up this database on 8/3/09 to a zip file, or at least I think I did. I cannot find that file & cannot restore or open it. I tried my remote back up with Mozy,again no luck.

I am either looking in the wrong place or the link to restore is broken or sending me to the wrong place.

When I do a search in my C drive for this specific database, a large number of dates appear & different sizes.

What to do now???

Search the computer for *.zip and look at the date modified column to determine the latest backup.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Larry Spivack
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

I found the correct zip back up file ,but had to rename the database ,which was OK, in order to restore the zip file correctly.

Now all is well in Portland. Thank you for all your help.

Regards,

Copper Contributor

I'm back.!!!!!!

Now the issue is another computer,my laptop.

I had to reinstall Windows XP on the laptop.

When reinstallind ACT 2008,ver 10, I have a problem.

I had updated to version 10.3 before the reinstall. I followed all instructions to remove ACT,SQL,etc., as before. Reinstalled ACT,but get error message because computer can't find version 10.3 .MY CD is version 10.

The message reads::

"Application has generated an exception that could not be handled."

Then there is a Precess with a number & a Thread with a number. 

Each time I try reinstall a new Process number & Thread number appear..

Another message asks for a "JIT Debugger". I installed  MIcrosofts debugger without any luck.

What to do now?

Has the reinstall been this much of a problem?

The Windows XP has all the latest downloads & updates .

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Larry,

Please see your Private Messages by clicking the yellow envelope in the upper right corner.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

I received a message that asks me to click on an "envelope", I did so & it vanished. Please resend the "envelope" or any link again.

Heres a link to your private messages.