Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with reinstalling ACT! 10.0 and SQL server

Problem with reinstalling ACT! 10.0 and SQL server

[ Edited ]

I am running a Dell XPS M1330 notebook w/ Vista Home Premium OS (let's not go there) Vista unexpectedly crashed and the result is me having to reinstall ACT!  My issue seems to be with SQL server's database services failing to install correctly.  So when I try to run  ACT! I get nowhere... 

The error message states:

Act.Data.DatabaseAccessException: The SQL Database instance is unavailable.  ---> Act.Data.ActDb.ActDbException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be cause by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error:26 -Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be cause by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error:26 -Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Message Edited by Mrg36 on 08-06-2008 08:49 PM

Message Edited by Mrg36 on 08-07-2008 04:28 AM

Re: Problem with reinstalling ACT! 10.0 and SQL server

[ Edited ]

Try the following uninstall/cleanup procedures.  These steps were provided by one of our top contributors on the ACT! Community - GLComputing.

Uninstall any version of ACT! from Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338 (the exe, not the manual uninstall)
Uninstall any MS SQL items from the Control Panel if still there
Uninstall MSXML Services from Control Panel if it's still there

Disable UAC as per ACT! KB 20220

Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Manually install MS SQL as per ACT! KB 19386
Install ACT!
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot

Message Edited by dlunceford on 08-11-2008 04:36 PM
Copper Contributor

wow....I have a remote user with this problem...seemingly out of the blue..... what is causing this and how can I ask a non-computer savy user to go through this procedure.   Is anyone at ACT working on a solution?

Gentlemen & Ladies:

HELP!  I have been using ACT 10.0 on a single laptop for several months.  But to be blunt:  I am no where near a competent IT type person. This morning when I energized the laptop, a warning box came up advising me that there was an update download for SQL.  

I guess I hadn't had enough coffee yet, but in any event I declined the upgrade.  So then when I tried to open ACT, I kept getting a message that "the database could net be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to diable any firewall software on your computer..."

Looking at the troubleshooting database connections, among other things it indicates that the MS SQL Server was not installed properly and/or the ACT7 is not currently running.  Now if I understand the various suggestions, etc., I am probably going to need to reinstall SQL Server (I presume from the ACT 10.0 installation disk?).  My problem, the database back-up on an external harddrive is giving me problems.  I am concerned that if I try to reinstall SQL that I will wipe out my current copy of the database which would be an unmitigated disaster as far as I am concerned.  

PLEASE HELP!  And please remember, I am not a computer smart guy (old and dumb)....

dg.consult@yahoo.com

The SQL service probably isn't started. 

- Go to Start and select Run. 

- Type in services.msc and click Ok.

- Locate SQL Server (ACT7) and start the service.

- Open ACT! and try to open  your database.

David Lunceford: 

Thank you for the prompt suggestion.  Unfortunately the problem is apparently a little more difficult.  When I tried to start the SQL Server (ACT7) I got the following Informational Service Box:  "Windows couldnot start the Server (ACT) on local computer.  For more info, review the system event log.  If thee is a non Microsoft Servce, contact the sedrvice vendor and refer to service specific error 10013."

Hope you have another suggestion.

Dave Gaede

614-839-5351

Having same exact issue on WinXP Pro. Got this one as well Can't Start SQL Server (ACT7) Blah Blah Error Code -2146885628.

Doing the re-install.exe method. Kinda of a pain cause I have to re-register the product again.

Randy Avenell
New Vision Computer Consulting
(559) 286-8225
New.VisionCC@Live.Com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Problem with reinstalling ACT!