Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with "Signing On" to ACT now

Problem with "Signing On" to ACT now

Hi All,

I'm new to the forums, mostly because we've never had an issue with ACT that has been frustrating enough that I wasn't able to fix it. We recently had an issue with our database on our main office computer (not mine), where all of a sudden ACT could no longer locate our database, even though it hadn't been moved. I was able to fix that problem, but now we're getting this gem of an error every time we try and log in, that states first that we need to log in (which we have never had to do before, and no passwords that we can think of will work, especially since one was never set up). If you click on "Log In" with anythin in teh password block a new message pops up stating that "The database contacts couldnot be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server." Following this description is a request to press F1 for troubleshooting help, which brings up a guide for syncing with another computer. The funny thing is, is that this is the main computer and we've never been successful in getting syncs to work with other computers. So, I'm not sure why its trying to search for this database on another computer, even after I point it in the right direction. I have already downloaded the two most recent updates for ACT v10, and am in the process of downloading the latest hotfix. If this doesn't work, my next course of action will probably be to save the database on an external source, wipe the computer of ACT, and reinstall. Does anyone have any other suggestions that might be a little less drastic? Thanks guys!

~Mike Wolfe 

Re: Problem with "Signing On" to ACT now

I am receiving the exact same message. I have been using ACT for 3 years and this is the first time I am receiving this message. I am not able to access or connect and use ACT. I have not changed any software or parameters on my computer. I am a standalone single user.

I have a 2nd copy of ACT on a laptop and I use a backup/restore to transfer the 1st copy of ACT database from a desktop. This 2nd copy of ACT is able to access and connect to the database and I am able ti run ACT. No error message.
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

Check that your database is still shared (Tools > Database maintenance > Share database) and check that you have not multi-share on the "database-files" folder (browse your server through the network and check you have only one "database-files" folder shared)

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }

m4y, that's pretty much the same thing that the ACT help screen gave me. Unfortunately, I don't have "tools" menu as an option. I tried a "Restore As" to restore an old backup, which did work. Unfortunately, its from January of this year and not any more recent. We seemed to have the trouble soon after updating to v10 it seems. We're trying other things now, but I don't have much hope that they will work...
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hi Guys,

We were able to get everything worked out, and I'm going to post the solution in hopes that it might help others. We ended up renewing our support plan with Sage, not that I wanted to pay for the extension. In any event, the fix was fairly straighforward once we got into it. What had happened is that either a Windows or Act update had affected the PAD file so that it no longer pointed to the correct database, which screwed with SQL. Go to Start-Run, and type "actdiag". This will prompt the ACT diagnostics tool. When you click on "databases" at the bottom left of the window a list of databases is brought up (assuming that you have/had more than one). More than likely, as was the case with me, there were multiple databases with a status of "Suspect". You want to detach and delete all of the databases in there (leave anything that you did create originally create, because there are some things that need to stay in there). Then, once you have done this its usually a good idea to restart the computer just as a precaution. Once you get everything back up, make sure that your ADF, ALF, PAD and "name-database files" folder are all in the database folder (C:\...My Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 10\Databases). Then open your ADF file. This should create a new PAD that points to your ADF file. And you should be set. I'm fairly certain that's all we had to do. Hope that helps.

In an unrelated matter, have any of you guys had problems syncing a Vista computer (slave) to an XP computer (Publisher) over a local network? After getting the database up an running I was finally able to sync my laptop (an XP unit) to our main computer (the Publisher, an XP). However, I was unable to sync the main computer to the bosses comp, which in a Vista unit. It keeps telling me that the computers can't connect. I can ping the main computer from the Vista with no problem and it finds the main comp (you can transfer files from the main to the Vista, from the Vista). However, you can't ping the Vista from the main. I've disabled the Windows firewall on the Vista and have a feeling that Norton (which came with the machine) is the problem, but there isn't any option for turning off the program, nor does it appear in the Task Manager. Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

~Mike 

Hah, ya just basically do with Mr. Lazarus there said to do Smiley Tongue. If I had read this reply before hand I wouldn't have messed with support. Oh well. Smiley Happy

~Mikr

Platinum Elite Contributor

m_wolfe wrote:

Hi Guys,

In an unrelated matter, have any of you guys had problems syncing a Vista computer (slave) to an XP computer (Publisher) over a local network? After getting the database up an running I was finally able to sync my laptop (an XP unit) to our main computer (the Publisher, an XP). However, I was unable to sync the main computer to the bosses comp, which in a Vista unit. It keeps telling me that the computers can't connect. I can ping the main computer from the Vista with no problem and it finds the main comp (you can transfer files from the main to the Vista, from the Vista). However, you can't ping the Vista from the main. I've disabled the Windows firewall on the Vista and have a feeling that Norton (which came with the machine) is the problem, but there isn't any option for turning off the program, nor does it appear in the Task Manager. Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

~Mike 

What's the exact error?

What version of ACT! (the full build from Help | About)?

Mike,

It turns out that the problem appears to be with the Norton software. I can permanently disable to firewall and Act will sync without any problem. However, if I have the firewall enabled with exceptions for ACT as well as the ip address for the Master Computer, the sync doesn't work. It isn't a huge deal to have that firewall disabled, because the Windows Firewall works fine with the Act sync. So, a little annoying, but not a huge deal. The ACT version is: 10.0.0.237, Hotfix 1. Any thoughts?

~Mike Wolfe