Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with importing yes/no checkbox field in ACT2009 Possible table error problem

Copper Super Contributor

Problem with importing yes/no checkbox field in ACT2009 Possible table error problem

I have tried importing the yes/no field as a value of number 1 for yes and set the excel column to general format, then made a csv or dbx export from excel, then imported to ACT, but a lookup of the field says there are no true values in the database for that field.

More specific:

in excel, first field is a unique id of a text string with a column header of QB and set to text, that field is also in act as QB and character format 8 long. The unique ID values are "1" to "10000" but actually text.

in excel, the second field is the check box field I want to set to yes, the column header is "WCA" and all the cells below it are the number 1 with the cells set to general format. I have also tried setting them to number format.

Excel example

QB       WCA

56          1

134        1

etc.

When I do the import, ACT see the 2 fields and matches them correctly and set the merge option to "merge" and "confirm each" checkbox, I get the green progress bar, but no conformations, therefore I think ACT is not recognizing (matching up) my unique ID string and is skipping the setting of the checkboxes.  This should all be straight forward and easy.  Is there any hangups with using a field called "QB".  I do remember getting some sort of "table error" box pop up when I first created the QB field in ACT. I clicked ok and went on. But QB does show in the fileds list as character 8 long. When I do a contacts list showing all the fields, ACT shows both QB and WCA fields in the columns list, When I set one record with the WCA field checked, and a value in the QB field, it export to excel and shows the QB field value correctly and the WCA field as "TRUE". So everything looks ok. But why does it not match on import the very same QB and WCA values?  Is it the possible table error message I got a long time ago?  The QB value is critical and cannot just be deleted and recreated because I would have to start over from scratch with 2800 contacts.

Is is possible to create a new field, say QBX and copy over all the values in ACT from the old field QB to new field QBX, then delete the field QB to see if that table error was the problem?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Problem with importing yes/no checkbox field in ACT2009 Possible table error problem

Rather than a value of 0 or 1, use False or True for importing to a Yes/No field.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Problem with importing yes/no checkbox field in ACT2009 Possible table error problem

ACT! uses 0 for false and -1 for true.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

True = Check

False = Unchecked

Copper Super Contributor

Duh, I had a brain freeze. Sorry folks. I need to use something like mergeadmin to specify a unique match criteria because ACT2009 cannot do that. I was thinking ACT was matching on the QB field because it showed it as the first field in field matching part of the merge process, but ACT is still using its standard built-in match criteria (what ever that may be) and it is not modifyable.