Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with fresh install recovering old databases

Problem with fresh install recovering old databases

Well met everyone.

I am having a couple problems that I hope are simple.

My friend's old computer's internals began failing and she purchased a new Windows 8 desktop.

I did a /user/ data transfer for her and all went smoothly.  I then reinstalled Act 2013 and when I try to load her old databases they won't load.

After some digging (for instance using actdiag) it appears that Act tries to connect but there is a credentials (user/password) failure.

Now I am familiar with mySQL and have never used Act.  I don't recall the install asking for credentials other than the serial # (I may be wrong though).

Any ideas how I can start looking at getting her Act DBs working again

Thank you

Shane

Silver Contributor

Re: Problem with fresh install recovering old databases

Do it in stages. When ACT loads for the first time, it installs, ACT, SQL and a demo database.  Make sure you can open the demo database. if that doesn't open, there is not much point going further, because ACT is busted.

Assuming the ACT demo database is working, it would help to know how you moved the databases over and what files there are.  Look for an .ADF and .ALF plus a supplemental files folder.

Behone that it's important to know what error you are getting. Is it an ACT log on screen?

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Problem with fresh install recovering old databases

Assuming everything transferred, the old pad file is likely pointing to the old computer and the database won't open. Have you tried opening the database with the ADL option?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129