Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with field incorrectly linked to ZIP - ACT2009

Copper Contributor

Problem with field incorrectly linked to ZIP - ACT2009

[ Edited ]

I've just discovered a database inconsistency that seems to have started with my database used with ACT 6 - or perhaps the problem happened when converting the database.

I had created a custom field called Prev Employ - used to keep notes on a contact's previous companies.

In the course of trying to set up the layout for ACT 2009 to be able to display this field, I discovered that the field had somehow been linked to the company field ZIP. As far as I know, I'd never done this in ACT6 - I wouldn't have known what it meant. When I discovered this, I removed the link by unchecking the appropriate place.

But, I've still had problems with contacts created from the Outlook toolbar since the link was removed. I enter the ZIP into the Outlook dialog box but the data goes into the Prev Employ field.

I tried creating a new field to keep the same kind of information. But I can't delete the Prev Employ field, and it is still linked (new contacts have the same phenomenon.)

I tried backup and restoring to a different database. No difference.  Database maintenance doesn't make any difference.

How can I clean this up?

Thanks

Mike

Message Edited by 5circles on 09-10-2008 08:55 PM

Re: Problem with field incorrectly linked to ZIP - ACT2009

Mike,

I sounds like you've renamed the zip code label.  Go to Tools -> Design Layouts -> Contact.  Do you see zip code where prev employ should be?

Copper Contributor

Re: Problem with field incorrectly linked to ZIP - ACT2009

dlunceford wrote:

Mike,

I sounds like you've renamed the zip code label.  Go to Tools -> Design Layouts -> Contact.  Do you see zip code where prev employ should be?

Yes.  I the layout, I see Text that says "State / ZIP" , then a drop-down with State inside, then a dropdown with ZIP inside.  

I figured out how to clean this up, and also a similar problem with Assistant, that somehow was linked to Address 1.  I wasn't able to find a field for Assistant phone - is there one?

There was one odd problem that came up as I was working on cleaning up the data in the Contact list window.  I don't know exactly what I did, as I moved up and down, but I got to a point where there was just a large red cross instead of the list.  The only way out of it was to Kill ACT! This happened several times.

Thanks for getting me on track.

Mike