Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with backup & restore

Problem with backup & restore

I am trying to move the Act database (2006 premium) & files to a different server.  I know that I am supposed to do the backup within Act, and do the restore as option from the new server.  The act database is over 300Mb & there is another 6gb or so in the database files directory.  When I do the Act backup, it creates a Zip file of only 22Mb.  I've tried this from 2 different computers.  It takes a good hour to an hour & a half doing the backup.  I can see it creating a temp file during the process.  But when it's finished, that is all I get.  Of course the restore fails from the new server.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Dave 

Bronze Contributor

Re: Problem with backup & restore

Given that you say there are over 6Gb of additional files you could also try to detach the database from within ACTDIAG and then copy the database to the new server and then open the .adf file to reattach to the new SQL instance

Run ACT diag from START, Run and type in ACTDAIG

You could also at the command prompt run the command NET STOP MSSQL$ACT7 and this should allow you to copy the database.

Once you know you have it up and running on the new server then you could delete it from the old server

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Platinum Elite Contributor

As Paul said, moving it manually is the only option - ACT! 2006 had a problem with backups of over 4GB

You'll also need to set up a process of backing up for future use. One such option is this...

Create an ACTBackup.bat file in Notepad as follows:

REM - Change the SET Paramaters as appropriate for your system
SET ACTSourceFolder="C:\Act\Database"
SET ACTDestinationFolder="D:\Backups\Act\Database"
SET XcopyOptions=/M /E /C /H /O /Y /I
REM
REM - Stop ACT Service
NET STOP SQLAGENT$ACT7
NET STOP MSSQL$ACT7
REM
REM - Perform copy
XCOPY %ACTSourceFolder% %ACTDestinationFolder% %XcopyOptions%
REM
REM - Restart ACT Service
NET START MSSQL$ACT7
NET START SQLAGENT$ACT7
END

With the SQL engine stopped, you can use anything to copy/backup the database and supplemental files. You could replace the XCOPY with a command line ZIP or other back-up utility.

Then run the BAT file from the Windows scheduler

Thanks for the replies.  I finally got it working, but not without a lot of headache.

Thanks for the help, as well as the backup advise.